Looking to Upgrade my mic!

P Stew

Alright i have a Shure KSM 27. I like it but im looking for some clearer nicer smoother all that stuff type vocals. I record mainly hip hop/rap and sometimes some RnB. I have an M Box 2 through USB running Pro Tools LE. I just want my vocals a smoother. I'm looking to spend around 700$ any suggestions?

I'm not very familiar with the sound technicalities of the genres you speak, but overall, if you are planning on spending 700$ on a mike, I would probably go for a 500$ mike and a 200$ pre-amp, instead of using the one from the mbox.

I doubt $200 would be a noticeable upgrade (if any) in preamps from the MBox. I'd spend the money on just a mic.

Sorry I can't recommend one though. Only higher-end mics I've really tried are the Audio Technicas, you can take a listen to their samples on their site:
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms//94191e1fd14f6418/index.html

But for $700 you probably have a lot more options than just Audio Technicas but they are really nice mics from my experience.

Alright i have a Shure KSM 27. I like it but im looking for some clearer nicer smoother all that stuff type vocals. I record mainly hip hop/rap and sometimes some RnB. I have an M Box 2 through USB running Pro Tools LE. I just want my vocals a smoother. I'm looking to spend around 700$ any suggestions?

I have just spent the last 2 weeks researching to buy a mic to capture my acoustic guitar. I asked a lot of questions to a lot of people who are very knowlegable in this field. The mic that kept being suggested to me not only is great for acoustic guitar but even greater on vocals.

The AT 4050.

I ordered mine last week and another few members around here have just received theirs and are elated with the mic.
Brand new $535 US from www.audiomidi.com
Ask for the "moreme" deal and you get a pair of headphones (probably ok for tracking??) thrown in.

I have just spent the last 2 weeks researching to buy a mic to capture my acoustic guitar. I asked a lot of questions to a lot of people who are very knowlegable in this field. The mic that kept being suggested to me not only is great for acoustic guitar but even greater on vocals.

The AT 4050.

I ordered mine last week and another few members around here have just received theirs and are elated with the mic.
Brand new $535 US from www.audiomidi.com
Ask for the "moreme" deal and you get a pair of headphones (probably ok for tracking??) thrown in.

moreme's are really good for tracking actually. :)
gorty-- you gear slut! :D

The AT4050 might be a fine mic, but it is not going to be all that great a difference over the KSM27. 414's are great too, but same story. This is the point where you might want to consider a shure sm7 or EV RE20. At $700 you are going to see a huge change with condensors. For about $900 to $1000 though you can start to get some better changes:)

i also agree that you'd probably want to snag yourself another preamp

even the most awesome mic in the world will be dragged down by the m-box preamps

you might want to take a look at the groove tubes brick....$400 new, around $300, and would leave you enough cash for another mic - SM7/RE20, AT 4040, etc.

in fact, a better preamp might make enough of an improvement in your vocal tracks that you won't need another mic.

I think you should upgrade your pre first. The GT Brick, as suggested, is a good option. Then you'll have some cash for an SM7b.

i'm sure the 4060 is a nice mic - all of the audio-technica LDC's are

but seriously, plugging an $850 mic into an m-box will be a serious bottleneck, and i'll go out on a limb here and guarantee that it won't give you the sound you're looking for

so with a good pre amp and my KSM 27 you think i'd get a better sound?

with another pre amp would i still get the recording headphone latency that you get with the M Box?

drop opinions...all appreciated

you can use the preamp in that, but i doubt it'd be any better than the m-box

and yes, any latency you're experiencing now would still be there with a different preamp. the latency is a result of the time it takes the signal to go into the computer, be processed/recorded, then be spit back out. only tweaking with your latency and buffer settings will fix that one.

and yea, i can guarantee that you'd get a lot better sound out of the ksm27 with an upgraded preamp...i have a buddy who records a lot of rap, and uses nothing but the ksm27. i'm sure there's better shit out there, but it gets the job done for him.

alright so i might go the pre amp route.

i see yall saying the Groove Tube Brick.

any opinions for around $400-600$

im looking for the best quality.

Yo Stew! The AT 4060 is an excellent mic, and should work very well for what you want it to do. I am also a fan of Rode NTK. Someone suggested Shure SM7 and Electrovoice RE20. Those are high end dynamic mics. They require more gain from the preamp. I think The Brick and an SM7 would be a great combo for your needs, and would upgrade your preamp and give you a whole different kind of mic. I agree that the AT4040 and 4050 are more like middle level upgrades to the mic you already have. The 4060 is a tube mic, like the NTK, and is a whole different animal. Both have very high output, and will cause you to turn your preamp down, rather than up. Best of luck.-Richie

i was thinkin bout keeping the KSM 27 and getting the Focusrite Voicemaster Pro. and run it with through my M Box 2 into Pro Tools LE....opinions? good idea quality wise?

Back