• Both are good ideas

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Don't quit your day-job

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HogansHiro

Now with 25% more sarcasm
Hey all...been thinking about getting off my ass and starting a small recording studio/music related business.... long story short....I'm looking to manufacture the following....

1) PLASTIC rack panel blanks...textured one side, smooth on the other. Shoould be considerably cheaper than metal ones.

2) Dust covers for the front of racks when not in use. It'll be a one or two space rack panel at the top of your rack with a removable fabric to cover the front of your gear when not being used. Maybe road version too thats beer repellent.

3) Dust cover for studio mics. Couple of sizes maybe for better fit to condensers.

Let me know if these items are actually something you might use. Who knows with my first million I might actually financethe yearly shin-dig.

I just have a relative that is in the plastics industry. Composite materials probably actually might be more expensive in the manufacturing process. I did however make a rack out of flimsy fiberboard and fiberglassed it to hardened it up. Looked ptetty futuristic, shiny and all. I used left over surfboard making supplies from a budy of mine. It had real metal rack rails fiberglassed in too. I guess living in Hawaii gets you sort of familiar with fiberglassing...pretty easy. Anyway...the fiberglass eventually cracked from too much abuse.

I think the dust covers (for mics and rack gear) are great ideas. Let me know when you have some prototypes.

I made my own rack face dust cover using smoked plexi-glass. I had it cut to fit within the face frame of my rack. I glued small metal discs (washers without holes) at each of the four corners of the plexi. I then glued four small magnets on the rack face corners...covered. I attached a small drawer pull knob at the top to make removal a little easier. Super simple project.

HogansHiro said:
Hey all...been thinking about getting off my ass and starting a small recording studio/music related business.... long story short....I'm looking to manufacture the following....

1) PLASTIC rack panel blanks...textured one side, smooth on the other. Shoould be considerably cheaper than metal ones.

2) Dust covers for the front of racks when not in use. It'll be a one or two space rack panel at the top of your rack with a removable fabric to cover the front of your gear when not being used. Maybe road version too thats beer repellent.

3) Dust cover for studio mics. Couple of sizes maybe for better fit to condensers.

Let me know if these items are actually something you might use. Who knows with my first million I might actually financethe yearly shin-dig.
The poll would only let me vote for one so I voted for number 1... "Pastic rack panel blanks....would be considerably cheaper"... I could use some black rack panel blanks right now. But I think both are good ideas. I like the idea of the rack dust cover... but not if it takes up a rack space, is there some other way? Some racks have a little extra space above the rails... maybe something that bolts to the top outside/inside the rack? I like the idea... but not losing a rack space for it.

Back