Looking to hire someone to bounce to tape . . .

cactuseskimo

I'm looking to hire someone to bounce my digital mixes to tape, and then back to digital again. I would most likely pay $200.00 for this service for an 11 song album.

Further details will be worked out, but if interested, PM me with a little about yourself, experience, and what gear (tape machine, soundcard) you have.

Thanks.

I also don't mean to offend anyone, but I've been scratching my head about this technique for a while now. I've read about people using this approach and it never made sense to me. If you tape a digital recording, it's just going to sound like a taped copy of a digital recording. Even more loss of quality will occur when importing the copy back into the computer.

Analog recording unfortunately isn't a silver bullet/magic wand for getting "That Sound"... it must be done right, and organically, from Step One. It'd be best to make the mix sound as good as possible in your current environment because dumping it to tape and back is only going to make things worse.

Well, it could potentially work IMO, if the D/A A/D converters used are of good quality and the analog tape machine used is at least half track/15ips. I have recorded sterile digital recording to tape and found it sounded much better, but I have never then reconverted the tape copy back to digital. May be worth a try, but I wouldn't keep my hopes too high. Just my 2c.

I also don't mean to offend anyone, but I've been scratching my head about this technique for a while now. I've read about people using this approach and it never made sense to me. If you tape a digital recording, it's just going to sound like a taped copy of a digital recording. Even more loss of quality will occur when importing the copy back into the computer.

Analog recording unfortunately isn't a silver bullet/magic wand for getting "That Sound"... it must be done right, and organically, from Step One. It'd be best to make the mix sound as good as possible in your current environment because dumping it to tape and back is only going to make things worse.

You are correct in your assumptions. Track to tape first then transfer to digital for editing. This has been discussed on forums everywhere for years and years.

I don't mean to offend either but even if it would accomplish something worthwhile, I doubt the op will find anyone with a quality machine in top condition accept an offer to transfer 11 songs to tape for $200.00. It would take at least 2 reels of tape alone. Not very realistic.

No offence taken, but I've been laying back digital tracks to analog for years with great success. It's not the same as starting with analog in the first place but it can dramatically sweeten the mix if one knows what they're doing, which I do.

It's not for everyone and it's not a simple process. It does in fact temper some of the harsh frequencies commonly associated with digital. I could get technical here but it doesn’t matter. The proof is in the hearing.

~Tim
:)

While I think that even ordered harmonics introduced may be of some help in helping to take some brittleness off and certainly the low end head bump will round out the bottom somewhat and make for a thumping kick and powerful toms, I cannot see anyway to recover the beautiful shimmer and sizzle that will be forever be lost in the cymbals when tracked to digital in the first place. Fwiw, my ears have heard 3rd generation bounces, tracked to tape, that sounded smoother, added more pizzaz to the original instuments and with more shimmer than any virgin digital recording that I am aware of.

Regards,

Danny

Last edited:
I have tracked from digital to analog(cd's) but not back to digital. I would think it would add something to the overall sound. Analog can only make digital recording sound better.

I have tracked from digital to analog(cd's) but not back to digital. I would think it would add something to the overall sound. Analog can only make digital recording sound better.

Analog can only make digital recording sound different. The difference might or might not be an improvement. Such things being quite subjective anyway.

Back