looking to get outboard efxxx

Phosphene

Horse Diaper
This past weekend I have tried out a Lexicon PCM70, Yamaha SPX1000, and a Roland SRV330. I'm lookin to get some outboard gear cause I am tired of my inboard efx on my Roland 1880. Of those 3, I liked the Yamaha overall, regarding the price and amount of choices, so I'll probably get one of those (SPX 90II---what's that like compared to the 1000?).

I've heard nothing but good things about the Rumour, so I will probably get one of those also.

Renting gear gets a lil expensive, so I'm asking you guys for advice on another unit that can do what the Rumour and Yamaha SPX1000 can't. I can see the Mangler getting suggested. Maybe something else? Rumour does reverb well, what about delay units? I also need another unit for good chorus/distortion/etc (mangler perhaps?)

What do I do? I do a wide range of styles. Ever heard of Ween/Mogwai? But alot of acoustic guitar, electric guitar, prominant bass guitar, minimal drum set-up (for now), and occasional keyboard. Sometimes will add in stuff like trumpet and lap steel.

Oh yes, my price range for each unit is free to around $500-600.

whaddyathink?

Last edited:
In that price range the Rumour and Mangler are great. I own the Rumour and a Lexi MPX500. I don't really use too much other than some verb. I also have a Peavey Valverb that I sometimes use for recording in addition to guitar rack duty. For delay, an Effectron II or III can be really good in a vintage sort of way (I have an Effectron III).

Back