Looking to get my first keyboard/digital piano

toadies

So i'm looking to get my first keyboard, I really want to learn how to play, been messing with my M-audio 49 key midi controller with reason, but I want a standalone solution.
Questions...
Is it really needed to have weighted keys? I was looking to get the Yamaha p90. Looking to spend no more then $1000.

If not what about getting a synth instead like the Alesis ION? does it offer piano sounds?

Another option I was thinking of doing would be getting the Yamaha P90 and then use my midi controller with reason for synth sound for playing or get a synth box.

So basically I'm asking what would you recommend buying? I realy want to get in to piano playing. Its fun and a hell of alot easier to write music on the piano.

Thanks

Necessary? Hmmmm...

Technically, no, it's not. Practically, if you want to learn PIANO then yes, it is. If you want to learn how to play keyboards in general, then get whatever fits your budget.

The P90 has a very good action, one of the best I've played.

The Ion is an analog modeling synth. It will be virtually useless for piano sounds. It excels at creating analog synth sounds like were used in the late 70's and early 80's.

Ted

Back