Looking to Ditch my DAW - Need Advice

Lanny Cox

Alright folks, here's the deal. I'm an aspiring musician/engineer/producer/yadda yadda yadda. Currently I'm recording all my stuff on a Zoom MRS-1044 10 track DAW, and then using an optical cable to mix it down to my PC where I edit it with Goldwave. This is, in my opinion, very inefficient. I've found that over time I'm using the DAW less and less. For instance.. the built in effects became pretty much useless as soon as I bought some decent mics and other gear, the onboard pres pale in comparision to my DMP3, I don't really need it to plug into because I have a decent mixer, and so forth. In addition, the thing is friggin' clunky as hell to operate, requires space in my room, and selling it would give me cash for some funky new gear.

Now.. here's the thing...

WHERE DO I EVEN START? AHHHHH.

Right now I've got a copy of Cubasis VST that was included with my SB Audigy Platinum 2 sound card (I know, not real recording gear, I'm ditching it as soon as I sell the DAW). Is this decent recording software, or should I look into something like Pro Tools? In addition.. my sound card will need to be upgraded. What would you guys recommend in the 1 or 2 hundred dollar range? Ideally I'd like to record 4-8 tracks at the same time (I'm picky, sue me). What are the inputs on those fancy recording soundcards like? Are there a bunch of them or something? I can only record 2 tracks at a time on my Audigy. Help, please? Thanks in advance.

Lanny Cox said:
Is this decent recording software, or should I look into something like Pro Tools?
Not protools (ick). My recommendation would be Tracktion2. It comes with LOADS of plugins, both VST fx and VST instruments, is dead easy to use and the results can be just as professional as 'protools'. Download the demo version here and if you like it as much as I do, buy it here.

Here's a link to a soundcard that will let you record 4 tracks at a time.

I disagree. Protools now has the M version that works with the M-Audio sound cards. You get a fantastic "Industry Standard" software package and an inexpensive interface. There is a reason that Pro-tools is used by most studios. It's a fantastic package. And now the price is right. I have used Cubase and decided to move to Pro-tools.

Um, I don't think PT LE is the "industry standard" by any means.

Dig deep into yer pockets and get a real version for 10k+, and *now* your in that league.

FWIW, Neundo (Cubase) is considered an industry standard as well.

fraserhutch said:
Um, I don't think PT LE is the "industry standard" by any means.

Dig deep into yer pockets and get a real version for 10k+, and *now* your in that league.

FWIW, Neundo (Cubase) is considered an industry standard as well.

Common on. PT LE might not be found in any major studios, but I doubt one with good PT LE skills will be even remotely lost when using an HD/TDM system. I think it's very smart to learn Pro Tools, even if it's not your first choice of DAW.

ssscientist said:
Not protools (ick). My recommendation would be Tracktion2. It comes with LOADS of plugins, both VST fx and VST instruments, is dead easy to use and the results can be just as professional as 'protools'. Download the demo version here and if you like it as much as I do, buy it here.

Here's a link to a soundcard that will let you record 4 tracks at a time.

I played aroud with a demo version of Traction and couldn't seem to find a mixing console window. That bugs me. Does version two have a console view?

Take a look at the Cakewalk products like Sonar. I'd demo all you can then make a decision.

Lanny Cox said:
Right now I've got a copy of Cubasis VST that was included with my SB Audigy Platinum 2 sound card (I know, not real recording gear, I'm ditching it as soon as I sell the DAW). Is this decent recording software, or should I look into something like Pro Tools?
Pretty sure you need the Audigy soundcard for the Cubasis VST software to work and I think you'll need m audio hardware for the M version of protools to work.

Halion said:
Common on. PT LE might not be found in any major studios, but I doubt one with good PT LE skills will be even remotely lost when using an HD/TDM system. I think it's very smart to learn Pro Tools, even if it's not your first choice of DAW.

It's very smart to lean Cubase/Nuendo as well, as the odds are, those studios which he may end up working in in the near future (the whole point, right?) will just as likely (again, in my opinion) be running Cubase or Nuendo.

Not like I have the option as a Mac user, but are you all saying that Nuendo is the same as Cubase?

I'm looking at getting Logic Express myself, but looking at the performance I get out of GarageBand 2 compared to Cubase, I'm thinking maybe I won't (yet anyways).

fraserhutch said:
So who is the anonymous coward who gave me a negative rep for my post above? Not only anonymous, but with no comment?

Coward.
Somebody did the same to me. Craven cowards amongst us, fraserhutch. But they didn't have any rep points of their own to knock us down with. That narrows it down...

TravisinFlorida said:
why do any of you care about rep points anyway? who started this whole rep point thing?
I could care less aboutthe points. It's the mindset that gets me.

You disagree with someone about a matter of opinion, so you give them anonymous negative rep with no comment? C'mon, how lame is that?

These are *discussion* boards. You're expected to discuss. The original poster asked for opinions, but some pin-head was so convinced that he/she owns the truth that they felt compelled to ding someone who dared disagree with them?

Lame, lame, lame, lame, lame.

Now I *know* I'm spending too much time on this board :)

MXStudios said:
I disagree. Protools now has the M version that works with the M-Audio sound cards. You get a fantastic "Industry Standard" software package and an inexpensive interface. There is a reason that Pro-tools is used by most studios. It's a fantastic package. And now the price is right. I have used Cubase and decided to move to Pro-tools.
I was referring to Pro-tools in general, not just LE. I've used both Pro-tools and Cubase SX and find Pro-tools to be a better product. Even with the less expensice interface, you still get a great software package.

We're all here to voice our opinions. That's what makes these forums so good for making big decisions. You can read through a conversation, get the facts and opinions of people who use the products, and make your own decision.

Maybe there is a poll somewhere on the site with this info already. If not, do one.

Might I suggest a different route, seeing as ppl here cant do anything but argue about different software...

Since it sounds like you already have a good mixer and nice outboard gear, why mess with complicated software programs with loads of useless plugins, not to mention the nightmare of getting sound in and out of the computer! Am I out of line to suggest looking at a nice 8 or 16 track reel to reel? Nice units can be had for real good deals on the ebay. A bit of practice with track bouncing and you'd be much better off than with the Zoom (I agree, that unit is a bugger!).

Or, if you prefered to stay in the digital realm, you could check out those standalone recorders like the Tascam DA88/98 DAT units or the harddisk types. (mx-2424, yummy!)

Just a suggestion! Its always nice to have alternatives to consider, ya know.

Have a good one!

Carl

If you're thinking about changing your soundcard then you should hang fire on your software decision. Lots of interfaces, e.g. Presonus Firepod, come with Cubase LE, which is essentially a newer version of the software you have, although it has moved on a bit since the Cubasis days.

Tracktion is very different, and is good for a certain type of user. It's still very young though, and I wouldn't want to rely on it for any kind of crucial project. The version I've got can't even render properly without glitching all my VST instruments.

I would recommend a mature package such as those from Cakewalk, Steinberg and obviously Pro Tools. With the new M-Audio/Pro Tools collaboration that Avid are trying out, there's never been a better time to give PT a try.

Back