Looking to build a home studio.

You can get the KRK 8's for an extra hundred bucks.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=KRK

I built my own monitor stands out of plywood and some iron pipe from the hardware store. Not the best look, but sturdy and cheap. Lots of DIY options for that if you want to save some bucks.

If you couldn't tell, I'm all about spending the money on the things that are actually in your signal chain and critical monitoring chain. Save money on "furniture" and tracking monitoring. :D

Well, I'm a carpenter for a living so I can build whatever I need. The Rokit 6's were the same price as the Rokit 6's with stands and cables.
In the 5 to 6 hundred bones category are the Rokit 8's a good choice?
I've actually read several reviews that said the mid's are scooped in the 8's and that they aren't nearly as flat as the 6's. I haven't heard either so I don't know.

That is good to know about the phonies. I just need a set that won't bleed through.

How about a Bluebird LD Condensor?

As for vocals I'm told I sound somewhat like Mike Ness on the grittyness scale but I can also do a mock Nashville Skyline Dylan.

Actually, now that I think about it I would rather not spend 5 or 6 hundred american dollars on monitors. I think it would be better to spend my cash on a good warm vocal mic. I don't plan on doing much twiddling with the sound post recording. I'm just gonna roll with what I've got.
So my focus is on the front end of the chain.

Actually, now that I think about it I would rather not spend 5 or 6 hundred american dollars on monitors. I think it would be better to spend my cash on a good warm vocal mic. I don't plan on doing much twiddling with the sound post recording. I'm just gonna roll with what I've got.

Eh, think of it this way- if you stick with recording, your going to keep purchasing mics. You'll use different mics for different things, or multiple mics at the same time- so if you get a $100-$200 mic now, you'll still have use for it even after you've purchased better and more expensive mics. If you get a good set of monitors now, your done for a while. It would suck to buy a set of $400 monitors, then decide you want to upgrade to a set of $500 monitors, cause you wont get your $400 back from the cheaper set (if that all makes sense).

Either way, I think thats money better spent than on headphones. :p

I know that seems like the right way 'round, but it's not. You're much better off putting more money into the room and your monitoring chain and less into the front end *at first*. I promise you that you're going to have to mess with the sounds you get, and that's going to be impossible if your monitors and room are lying to you.

Frank

I know that seems like the right way 'round, but it's not. You're much better off putting more money into the room and your monitoring chain and less into the front end *at first*. I promise you that you're going to have to mess with the sounds you get, and that's going to be impossible if your monitors and room are lying to you.

Frank

Agreed.
...and most people have multiple mics but only one set of monitors. Get the monitors right upfront. You'll be buying more mics anyways...

I just returned from a fruitless trip to my nearest Music store. It is a small store with limited stock. I did get to listen to a pair of Wharfedale 8.2 diamond pro monitors. I had heard good things about them. Everything that I was told was wrong. To my ears they sounded terrible. Well, maybe not terrible but bland. Everything was really bland with no distinction.
This has convinced me not to purchase any monitors until I can hear them for myself. And since I don't know when I can make the 7 hour round trip to the nearest big city with numerous Music stores, it seems as I will have to put off my studio project.

I just returned from a fruitless trip to my nearest Music store. It is a small store with limited stock. I did get to listen to a pair of Wharfedale 8.2 diamond pro monitors. I had heard good things about them. Everything that I was told was wrong. To my ears they sounded terrible. Well, maybe not terrible but bland. Everything was really bland with no distinction.
This has convinced me not to purchase any monitors until I can hear them for myself. And since I don't know when I can make the 7 hour round trip to the nearest big city with numerous Music stores, it seems as I will have to put off my studio project.

Sorry to hear. Keep in mind though, monitors aren't meant to sound "good", they're meant to be accurate. And also, the room you are in plays a BIG part in the way monitors sound. Point being, you may go into a store, pick something that sounds good to you, get them home, and have them sound completely different...
Plenty of research. Don't get discouraged. :)

just occurred to me, I should probably elaborate a bit...

Seems the most popular "technique" for monitor shopping is to pick a few cd's you know well, and that are regarded as sounding good. Take the disk with you to the store and listen through various models. You are looking for things that will make mixing easy, like a clear stereo field, clear playback across the audible range. You want to be able to listen and hear and pick out individual instruments. No audible distortion at listening volume. You want to be able to hear the bass well (this in particular will be the most affected by your room- I wouldnt expect too much from a room in Guitar Center covered in shitty foam).

Wow, Kremit and Weasel are giving you some great advice. Both are so right on with monitors and your room. The two most important aspects of recording.

I bought some near fields a few years ago. when I did, I went from store to store to compare anything I could listen to. Couldn't tell a difference. The store puts them out on shelves with so many other speakers. There's noise everywhere from some kid blasting a PA system to someone else playing chopsticks on a keyboard. Whatever you listen to, it's NOT going to sound like it will in your own room. So, any listening tests are pretty much invalid. Side by side tests showed differences in monitors, but you aren't really able to draw conclusions from what you hear in a store.

Read the reviews and browse the forums. Find out what most people are using. Most monitors are going to give you a good representation of your music IF you have your room treated for good acoustic response.

Kremit is right about mic's, too. Get something to get you going for now. Spend your money on your interface, monitors and room. I use an MXL V57m as my go to vocal mic, $60!!

You mentioned Sweetwater. I buy most everything from them. They aren't the lowest price, but shipping is free and customer service is great.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck

Man, I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate your help. Seriously.

The Wharfedales were 6.5's and the rep offered to sell me the pair for $280. I couldn't get a real good sense from them because the only CD that the dude had was Sting's greatests hits. Maybe it was Sting that was dull and not the Wharfies...

rhone

Yeah, Frank is absolutely right. Don't save on monitors or acoustics. They make a LOT of difference.

Maybe it was Sting that was dull and not the Wharfies...

Take it back! :mad:

Seriously, Stings stuff would be some of the best-recorded full-range material in the last 20 years. I'd say that's a pretty good representation of what the speakers are capable of.

Frank

Back