Looking for Virtual MIDI Patchbay for Windows

brzilian

Does anybody know of a MIDI utility for Windows that would emulate the functionality of a MIDI patchbay?

I am using my Motif6 as a controller via USB to control my Roland D50 and XP30 which are connected to a M-Audio MIDISport 2x2.

I can accomplish this by running Sonar, but I would rather have a smaller dedicated app when I am not interested in recording and just playing.

I see there is something for the Mac, but have had no luck with Windows.

Any ideas?

there's early development for JACK for windows which would do both audio and midi... not sure if it's past experimental yet though...

There's a very functional midi patchbay contained in energyXT.

Like all modular hosts you can use as little or as much of it as you want. I have several configurations saved in which I use nothing but the patchbay.

altitude909 said:
midiox. Best midi utility ever

Can you explain how that is done?

I installed MIDI Ox but it just seems to echo everyhing out to all MIDI outs at once. How do you go about routing MIDI signals in the program by selecting a certain port?

Ditto on the Midi-ox-nay. I can't figure it out, even with the help of the guy who created it. Hubi's midi-cable work well in win98 only.

Under options/Midi devices.

The blue midi icons are outs, green ones are in's. You can map any number of physical inputs to an output. The important thing to know is that whenever you have an input selected as a port object (listed in the Port Maps Objects) it will by default add it to each output so if you want a bunch of outs mapped to various ins, then you need to manually remove the input from underneath the out port in the port mapping window. You can also expand each input and filter certain events (VERY IMPORTANT) so you can filter channels and system/sysex/system common events (like clock). Nothing is filtered by default and you have to delete the data type to enable the filter.

The other way to do this is just to select all your in and out ports like stated above and then just click the "route 66" icon (midi port routing). There you can just drag and connect wires in a nice graphical way. Clicking on the little square that is on the wire will open the filter window

altitude909 said:
The other way to do this is just to select all your in and out ports like stated above and then just click the "route 66" icon (midi port routing). There you can just drag and connect wires in a nice graphical way. Clicking on the little square that is on the wire will open the filter window

Thnx - it was right there in front of me and I didn't see it...

You might also be interested in free Soundigy Midi Patchbay (there is also an extended version of the software Soundigy Midi Patchbay Extended and Soundigy Midi Processor).

Back