Looking for specific feature in a piano scale computer application

geneticfunk

I'm trying to find a computer program that will let me input a set of notes, and which will then produce a list of the scales that contain those notes. Hopefully the set of scales that the program searches through will be very comprehensive. Does anyone know of a program that can do this?

For example, let's say I enter "C, G, A#, Bb". Then the program spits back to me a list of all of the scales which contain these notes.

It would actually behoove you to work that out yourself :) You'll learn your stuff much better that way.

I have not heard of such a software.

yeah, i know that it would be preferable to have this information and data processing ability stored in my head, but that takes a lot of time.

having a program like i described would help me to learn scales, but it would help me to choose the ones that i'm interested in to learn first, as opposed to simply choosing from a list of all scales.

geneticfunk said:
I'm trying to find a computer program that will let me input a set of notes, and which will then produce a list of the scales that contain those notes. Hopefully the set of scales that the program searches through will be very comprehensive. Does anyone know of a program that can do this?

For example, let's say I enter "C, G, A#, Bb". Then the program spits back to me a list of all of the scales which contain these notes.

Well if you ever do find a program that does this, don't enter the notes you just mentioned before. The program might lock up. A# and Bb are the same notes!

I've never heard of such a program, but honestly, I can't really see the benefit of it.

There aren't THAT many scales out there (or commonly used ones anyway), and it doesn't take that long to learn them if you just get a good scale book or something. I'd say start with these:

major scale
minor scale
major pentatonic
minor pentatonic
blues
the modes (Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian)
harmonic minor
melodic minor
half-whole diminished
whole-half diminished

and you'll be in pretty good shape. There are a few modes of the melodic minor scale, like the 7th mode (the altered scale) and the 4th mode (Lydian dominant) for instance, that are used in jazz a lot.

Anyway, it really doesn't take as long as you may be thinking, and it will improve your musicianship.

Start making songs out of the C scale. Out of pure curiosity you will soon start to transform into other keys. Some years and you know them all.
Its like addition. If you train without a calculator you learn the mystics behind and can handle it on the fly.
Such a program might exist, but I doubt it would help you.
Myself I was also searching for something to "explain" the theory of music for me. That was years ago.
Now I dont care much for the theory. I play what sounds cool. That will really make your tunes and even solos more interesting too.
Have fun.

Get this program called "Nut Chords". It allows you to click on each individual note on the keyboard one by one. After you enter 7 notes, the program outputs the name the scale, etc. If you dont enter all 7 notes then you can manually browse through various scales in the key of your choice. From there you can check yourself to see each scale. Hope this helps

Chord analyzer / Vocal Harmonizer

There are a few pieces of hardware out there that do analysis on the notes you hold down or play on a keyboard, called Vocal Harmonizers.

I have the high-end Digitech Studio Vocalist, but there are several other pieces of hardware and by other manufacturers, too, that can help you in this particular problem you are talking about.

Though these devices are actually designed to produce additional vocal harmonies over your inputed singing, the way they work is by identifying the notes or chord you program (or play) and then output the voice you sing with additional harmonies.

But in this process, the essential work you first asked about, is performed. That is, if you hold down 2, or 3, or 4, or 5 notes (or more), it will identify and name the chord for you on the LCD display. Can be had from anywhere, New, like $150 on up to $900.

Hope this helps.

There is a thing called "Circle of Fifths" that shows the relationships between scales by key. Many of us have memorized it in an effort to get a handle on music. it is taught in all Theory/Harmony classes. If you memorize it, all your questions will be answered. Plus you wont have to wait for it to load.

chazba

Back