Looking for soundcard with double Midi?

F_cksia

My housemate wants to hook up her Midi-controller to a computer soundcard, and at the same time have the Roland JV-1010 Module output connected to the same card. So basically she would need a double MIDI-input right? Just one OUT is required, to go back into the JV-1010.

What is the best set-up and card for this?

Thanks!

F_cksia said:
My housemate wants to hook up her Midi-controller to a computer soundcard, and at the same time have the Roland JV-1010 Module output connected to the same card. So basically she would need a double MIDI-input right? Just one OUT is required, to go back into the JV-1010.

I'm not sure what you're doing with the computer itself, but I'm not sure any extra hardware is needed.
Couldn't you just use midi routing within the software to get the computer to echo commands back to the Roland?

If another MIDI interface actually is required, you could just get a USB dongle like the Edirol UM-1 or suchlike to complement the existing card.

jpmorris said:
I'm not sure what you're doing with the computer itself, but I'm not sure any extra hardware is needed.
Couldn't you just use midi routing within the software to get the computer to echo commands back to the Roland?

If another MIDI interface actually is required, you could just get a USB dongle like the Edirol UM-1 or suchlike to complement the existing card.

Thanks for the reply, that could indeed be the case. You know if something like Cakewalk is capable of doing that?

F_cksia said:
Thanks for the reply, that could indeed be the case. You know if something like Cakewalk is capable of doing that?
Yes. You should be able to select multiple inputs in the MIDI device dialogue. You may need to select 'MIDI OMNI' as the MIDI input for the track the JV1010 is on.

Multiple outputs on the same MIDI channel is a bit harder as the JV1010 can't be made to ignore MIDI channels unless it's put into monotimbral mode (performance mode IIRC - might have been 'patch mode', I always forget which). In that situation you might need another MIDI bus, but what you seem to be doing should be fine with the equipment you have.

Actually, let me see if I understand what you want to do:

The midi controller is connected to the MIDI in of the computer's sound card.
The computer's sound card MIDI out is connected to the MIDI in of the JV1010.

This will allow you to play the sounds of the JV1010 from the controller, and from sequences recorded to your DAW.

Now, if you want bi-direrectional communication between the DAW and the JV1010, to maybe store/ledit/oad patches, etc, then you would need a second MIDI in on your computer's sound card. But if all you want to do is play the JV1010, the you don't need this.

Jv-1010

The JV-1010 comes with an editor that requries you to hook up it out to the computers in port. You need two in ports to use both the editing & the keyboard at the same time. But you don't really have to, it's just a little simpler. But just to record & use one module you don't need two outs. Even if you want to get the keyboard into it you can use the midi thru on the JV-1010.

I do find it better to hook each module/keyboard to a separate out, but there are ways around it.

To answer the original question, just install a second sound card.

It can be the cheapest and nastiest on the shop shelf, but as it's the MIDI alone you're after there is absolutely no need to use the line ins and outs anyway.

Most sequencers should be able to either toggle between the two MIDI connections or use them both at the same time.

MickB said:
To answer the original question, just install a second sound card.

It can be the cheapest and nastiest on the shop shelf, but as it's the MIDI alone you're after there is absolutely no need to use the line ins and outs anyway.

Most sequencers should be able to either toggle between the two MIDI connections or use them both at the same time.

:D That works and would probably be the way I would do it I dont like all this other hoop la.

Can you connect the JV1010 directly through a serial port connection (To Host or whatever?)
If yes, this is effectively a second MIDI interface, which is what you want.
If no, get another (cheap) USB interface, not another sound card (just my 2 cents worth)

Orc

Back