Looking for soundcard suggestions...

mattr

Resident moody teenager
I'm starting uni next week and will be taking my computer and monitors (all insured, for the record :p) with me, but not my interface and the bulky rack of goodies that goes with it.

At low volumes the quality of the computer's onboard sound is reasonably satisfactory, but crank the gain on the KRKs slightly and noise in the output becomes very evident... I'm therefore looking for an inexpensive internal soundcard to take over duties whilst the computer is away from home.

Can be PCI or PCIe.
Must have balanced 1/4" outputs (well, XLR would be fine but I'd rather not have to deal with breakout cables).
Needs good driver support for Win7 64-bit.
Preferably under £100.

The closest I've found so far has been the ESI Juli@

Any suggestions or reccomendations would be appreciated :) Thanks

My XP machine died. I got a new HP with Win7 64bit. My M-Audio Delta 2496 isn't dealing with the 64 bit system real well. I went over to the M-Audio forum and many have their pitchforks out. M-audio is still trying to just offer on the Vista driver they have, as their Win7 update. It was last updated about a year and a half ago despite all the remaining bugs.

I would like to know if there is any PCI card out there without 64bit issues. That ESI Juli looks promising. I wonder what the feedback/reviews are from 64 bit owners?

Last edited:
Why not go for a little USB interface? If you get one powered from USB you don't even hae to worry about extra power cables.

I tried the Tascam 100, which claimed zero latency. But in monitoring my PowerTracks while recording vocals, there was a noticible delay. I returned and have gone back looking for a PCI card that will work with W7/64.

I just commented a few seconds ago. But I have an HP Quad Core running Win-7-64 And I really liked the Focusrite Saffire pro (firewire). Sounds great. Interface is excellent and it worked well with my setup. Plus it comes with some free very usuable focusrite plugs (299.99)

Back