looking for some suggestions

audio_leak

bout to upgrade my recording gear after three years of the same stuff. would like some insight. i posted here cause whenever i post anywhere else i get 0 replys, or someone trys to make you feel like shit for not knowing what some random plug or button does.

keeping it simple,

-i have around $2200-2500 AUD (australian) for an interface, id like 8 channels at least, firewire connected, half decent mic pres and maybe a couple instrument pres. would like to have a mixing board, (like the 003 factory compared to the 003 rack) so that im not doing all of my mixing in the computer, but thats not overly important as i have been mixing in the box for years now.

-i've got about $2500-3000 for a high quality mic pre
only need 2 channels, thinking something like a neve, i like the sound of the 1073 from what ive read but there way outta my price range for now.

-got about 1000 for some new moniters
ive got no idea about moniters, ive been using logitec computer speakers, and some good quality headphones so anything will be a step in the right
direction.

got about $1000-2500 (big gap i know) for a new mic.
was looking at a rode K2, studio projects T3, i know its a personal choice for mics, but just give me some names and brands so i can look at something different from the same ones im on all the time.

id also like to get some kind of MPC and some turntables, again i have zero experience with either of these, i was lookin at an MPC 1000 which i think will be fine, but i need some advice on turntables for sure.

what ill use all this for is, beat production, hiphop vocals, death metal, recording instruments, would like to be able to track whole bands at once on live tracks, pretty much everything.

im not recording full time, or cutting pro demos, but i would like to be able to start stepping in that direction, i already record people for little money or for free, and i need a sound that is going to take me foward from that.

any advice you can offer will be much appreciated

thanks everyone

Hey Audio_Leak.
Before I make any suggestions it might be good to know what you have.

I know for most folks it is easier for them to just point you to the most expensive options out there, but what I have found is you can find decent sounding gear for a reasonable price if you are willing to not get too hung up in the name hype.

The reality of it is, the most important things are:
Good instruments
Good performances
Good room acoustics
Talent on your part.

Even the most expensive equipment won't get you but a 1/4th to a 3rd of the way.
You have to develop chops.
You have to develop people skills
You have to develop a thick skin to "unknowing experts"

After over 15 years of recording bands and soloists I am still developing and improving my chops and people skills. Funny how what makes you good often has no bearing on your technical savvy.

I have had the cheap stuff and I have had the Neumanns / Apogees etc.
Some of it I kept because it really made a difference, a lot I returned, because the price was not worth the difference to me. I'll admit I kept a few pieces due to cratering to the pressure of saying " I have "XYZ" brand gear.

Last edited:
..The reality of it is, the most important things are:
Good instruments
Good performances
Good room acoustics
Talent on your part.
Continuing on that mode..
-i've got about $2500-3000 for a high quality mic pre
only need 2 channels, thinking something like a neve, i like the sound of the 1073 from what ive read but there way outta my price range for now.

-got about 1000 for some new moniters
ive got no idea about moniters, ive been using logitec computer speakers, and some good quality headphones so anything will be a step in the right
direction. .
This strikes me as inverted.

edit:

Jim Lad i actually have taken a decent looking at the m-audio product you linked me too, i like the idea of getting off the mouse and getting my hands on some faders.

could you make me any reccomendations on stand alone recorders? ive never even thought of going to that kind of setup but id be interested to see any suggestions you have

TMIX: seen pics of your studio in another thread, amazing!! that main room is exactly what id like to have some day. im sure it sounds excellent as well. good work anyway

Last edited:
Back