Looking for some Monitors

Captain Whisky

I need to buy a decent pair of monitors for mixing, my budget is roughly £300-500 Max for a pair. I'm going to this shop soon to check some out: Studio Monitors at Rubadub: Music Equipment and Technology, Glasgow, Scotland

They have a very good selection on there, any recommendations from the ones listed? I don't know where to begin.
They will be used for general listening to music as well as mixing mostly bands, singer/songwriters, I don't delve into electronic music that much but some general all rounders would be a good idea I think.
Thanks ;)

I don't know much about monitors in general, but I purchased some Rokit8's Gen2 and So far so good. They just came out with Gen3, if you can find the Gen2's you can probably get a good deal on them.

I have a pair of Alesis that I bought around fifteen years ago that are excellent. They were my first monitors and they still sound good as part of my home theatre system now..

+1 on the rokits. Depending on the size of your room though, you might want to consider the 6's instead.

Not sure what you'll be able to find in your part of the world... but here's what I've tested here in the States...

Currently using a pair of Samson Resolv A8 and an older 8" Energy sub. Absolutely fantastic budget monitors (definitely want to pair with a sub as the bass with most budget monitors is lacking). These were an upgrade from a pair of M-Audio BX5, which were okay but lacked good low end definition due to the smaller driver.

Samson Resolv A8 Home Audio System - Newegg.com

I did a run through what our local Guitar Center (a.k.a. Musician's Friend) had in stock locally a few months back. Frankly, nothing there excited me for the prices they were asking. They had the BX8 on sale, but found the bass lacking (still). Of all the monitors they had, I liked the price/performance of the Yamaha HS8 the most. To get any better reproduction would have been $500+ for each monitor, which I couldn't justify since I make almost no money doing music from home.

GuitarCenter

A local friend has smaller mackie monitors. They sound on-par with the BX5's, but for more money. I really feel the 5" drivers are just too small for most uses. I'll never go smaller than 6.5" and probably just stick with 8" monitors from herein. I think the smallest monitors are intended for cramped space or to augment an existing setup (another set of ears to test mixes).

Last edited:
Back