Looking for some LDC's to use as Drum OH's

MadMax

Any good sounding reasonably priced ones out there? I want something that's full bodied and bright.
I've read about AKG C-414's for this. Any others?

I have a couple c-414's B-ULS I believe.. they're not incredibly bright but they do sound great as overheads. What price range are you looking at? around the 800ish price range similar to c 414. Maybe look at neumann km 184's as well.

The c414 is a standard as an overhead. As stated the km (sdc) mic series would work well too. I also like U87s and SM 81s (sdc)
I prefer to stick with the standards over anything because, in the event you want to sell it, you can find someone willing to pay a good price for them. Plus there is a reason it's a standard.

I like the 414s as overheads, and would definitely recommend them.

They are a very versatile microphone - and with two the possibilities are near endless.

The AT4050 also does well on overheads. Maybe a little cheaper than C414s used. And as a bonus, it's a very useful mic for lots of other things. Mine are not as bright as my C414 BULSs.

I'm into shure ksm 32s for overheads. absolutely amazing tone that way. Like 'em better than the other ksm series for overheads and for bg vocals.

Don

Don,
I was ctually thinking about a pair of KSM44's. They're basically the same thing as the 32's but with dual diaphragms, right? I'm just thinking about the versatility aspect.

MadMax said:
Don,
I was ctually thinking about a pair of KSM44's. They're basically the same thing as the 32's but with dual diaphragms, right? I'm just thinking about the versatility aspect.

actually, to my ears at least, the 44s sound different. I think the 44s are voiced more towards what shure feels is a good vocal sound. some people love them for that, I don't, but I do find they sound different from ksm32s. for me, the pick of the litter is the ksm32. but for many it's the ksm44. ears vary...

either way, they're both great mics that are somewhat undervalued compared to european and limited edition handmade american mics that offer similar performance.

i'm just not a fan of the cheapest of the three ksm LDC mics, to me they sound cheaper, if you know what I mean.

Certainly the ksm44 is great that it's multipattern, as long as the cardoid pattern sounds similar to the ksm32 then it's a winner. I'm not a 44 expert at all, so please check them out yourself, don't let me influence you that the ksm32 is better than the ksm44, just happens to be my choice (irrelevant of price).

Cheers,
Don

of course, I already have great lead vocal mics, so that might have also influenced me away from the ksm44, I'm not really sure since it's been a while since I bought the 32s. I listened to all three models though and chose the ksm32, and like I said, for bg vocals I love the ksm32 also (sometimes).

MadMax said:
Don,

No, they sound different because the capsules are completely different. The 32 is a 5/8" electret; the 44 is a 1" dual-diaphragm externally polarized condenser.

Back