Looking for Recording Setup Recommendation

sendittokeith

Im about to purchase some new gear to record with. I need to record vocal and accoustic so i was gonna try a 3 mic approach.

I am pretty newb but i do have experience with Alesis mixers (not good luck), Sonar 7, etc. but im not opposed to switching to Cubase or ProTools.

What should i get? A 4 channel mixer, i used Alesis firewire w/o much luck.

I was hopping to cap the spending at $500 but could go a bit more if the product is fitting. Ideally i would like something that allows me to send the channels back out (if possible) and hook up my Rokit monitors.

My band has a Presonus StudioLive (very high end) but its not always available to me, so i was hoping to have something that i keep hooked up in my studio that would allow me to route the ouputs to either my Rockits or the StudioLive.

-edit-
I already own Sonar 7 Producer, but again im no opposed to switich im far from an expert using it.

Im sure there will be more questions, etc. so i'll update this post as they come.

Thanks to all for your help. Hopefully i'll gain enuf experience to give back at some point.

Do you have any microphones currently? If so how many more are you wanting..

Or are you just looking for an interface, in which case I'll assume that you want pre-amps included.

Also, what kind of computer are you using?

--Paul

Side Note: I use Sonar 7 Producer Edition and that works for me, there is absolutely no need to switch to cubase or pro-tools if your software fits your workflow.

Do you have any microphones currently? If so how many more are you wanting..

Or are you just looking for an interface, in which case I'll assume that you want pre-amps included.

Also, what kind of computer are you using?

--Paul

Side Note: I use Sonar 7 Producer Edition and that works for me, there is absolutely no need to switch to cubase or pro-tools if your software fits your workflow.
Good questions. I have all of the microphones i need, im just looking for an interface with preamps included.

Focusrite Saffire

Have you considered any of the Focusrite Saffire interfaces? They have great quality mic pre's in them and the Saffire Pro 40 is right in your price range. I use the Saffire 26 I/O and have enjoyed the results and the plugins that come with the interface sound very good.

Cheers,
Nicholas

In that case..

I'd go with the MOTU 8-Pre (New @ 550) if you have a firewire connection..

-Paul
Paul - I do have a firewire connection. I am looking at this unit - here are some questions for you if you dont mind.

1.) How long have you used this untit?
2.) Do you have to use the QueMix software or can you use Cakewalk? Sounds like you also have Sonar so...
3.) Any way i could get any type of audio recording sample from you? I can private my email to you. That would be great, if not no biggie.
4.) Could you explain your setup? Are you using any mixers or other hardware?

If you have time to answer, that would be great. Thanks NewAge

What was the hangup with the Alesis? They're not the best out there, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't make a decent recording with one. Unless you're having technical issues?

What was the hangup with the Alesis? They're not the best out there, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't make a decent recording with one. Unless you're having technical issues?
Sonar 7 ALWAYS would produce dropout when using this device. It may be the firewire, pc, etc. but i have not had this same issue in Sonar 7 with gnx4 - i honestly havent tried much else... but with that said, i believe what im after is an audio interface instead of a mixer (please correct if im wrong)

I don't personally own an 8-Pre but the fairly limited hands on experience I had with one was quite nice. I also know alot of people that use it, and I'm an avid MOTU fan (No pun intended).

Personally, I use Sonar 7 Producer Edition with a MOTU 2408 and a 324PCI Card with Pre-Amps from my board (Mackie via the 24Pin Direct Outs).

I don't have internet at my house right now (still haven't hooked it up there since I moved last year) so I'm usually online at work. But once I get it up, I'll post some samples somewhere.

-Paul

Side Note: I'll actually be switching to Pro-Tools in May but that is due to my classes at Full Sail.. Not Particularly looking forward to switching, but at the same time I'm excited to learn the "quote-un-quote" industry standard.. if there could even be such a thing.. Should be fun!

There really is a lot to choose from. Have a look at the presonus interfaces. Also, the Roland (cakewalk) interfaces. They play nice with Sonar as they come from the same company.

Sonar 7 should work well with any interface. If you have problems, it is usually settings or the interface, not the DAW.

I agree with Pre-Sonus, while I've heard mixed reviews I have had experience with one through a friend of mine recently.. It worked smoothly for him.

Also, I forgot one thing in my previous post.

No you do not have to use the CueMix you should be able to route entirely from withing Sonar, that's what I do.. Well, that or I'll monitor from the Board.. depends on the day..

--Paul

Just to pile on, a friend recently got a Lexicon Ionix and really likes it. Has exceptional pre's. It comes in 3 flavors, 2,4 and 8 pre's.

I don't personally own an 8-Pre but the fairly limited hands on experience I had with one was quite nice. I also know alot of people that use it, and I'm an avid MOTU fan (No pun intended).

Personally, I use Sonar 7 Producer Edition with a MOTU 2408 and a 324PCI Card with Pre-Amps from my board (Mackie via the 24Pin Direct Outs).

I don't have internet at my house right now (still haven't hooked it up there since I moved last year) so I'm usually online at work. But once I get it up, I'll post some samples somewhere.

-Paul

Side Note: I'll actually be switching to Pro-Tools in May but that is due to my classes at Full Sail.. Not Particularly looking forward to switching, but at the same time I'm excited to learn the "quote-un-quote" industry standard.. if there could even be such a thing.. Should be fun!
Sounds neat, i was considering pro-tools until i researched it - and no. Hit me up if you get some samples, that would be sweet. Thanks for your posts :-)

Back