Looking for nice, warm analog mixing console...

AumStudioBrian said:
Explian this to me... summing box is new to me? Also, what Pre's do you reccomend that would "murder" soundcraft pre's???

How many channels of pre's do you feel you need? I'd say 10 for instrument purposes and 1 for vox? if thats the case. you could get a API3124 or the new Daking IV which are 4 pre's of the colored variety a sytek which is four pre's of the clean variety and one RNP which is sorta inbetween but closer to clean. For vox pre i'd probably go with either A-Designs MP-1 or Phoenix DRS-1.

Then get this http://www.atlasproaudio.com/folcrom.html
thats the summing box read up on it.

and you may need to buy D/A's if you don't already have some

then you can buy the presonus CS to monitor from

doulos said:
....would go to a daw mix in the computer daw is the way of the future the quality is not in the analoge board unless your way past the 10 k price point
I disagree completely......... I prefer mixing on a Mackie 8-buss to the summing in a DAW.......

You generalize a little too much there, Doulos...... a lot also has to do with the skills of the AE --- George Massenburg will get a better sound out of a PortaStudio than a monkey with a Neve.

doulos said:
your gonna hate me but small format consoles suck including the ghost if i had 10 k...

So if you don't have 10K for a mixer you should just not record?

I've heard plenty of good recordings done on Mackies, Soundcrafts and A&H's... they don't "suck" at all.

if you dont have 10 k for a mixer i suggest spending what you do have on nice pres over a low quality board you will get higher quality with good pres over a mackie 8 buss its simple physics less circuitry = cleaner sound
the fastest way to point a and b is a straight line ive mixed on ghosts mackies spirts alen heathen boards etc the best quality ive ever goten concerning any use of digital has been high pres to a digital medium much cleaner sound then a mackie 8 buss to daw your not gonna get analoge warmth from a board if its going to a daw unless the board is vintage design aka neve neve clone old ssl or its a vale tube design thats the facts much easier and cheaper to use good tube pres into a daw if daw is your final medium anyway try it yourself use your ears take a pair of headphones good ones like sennheisers and crank the mix buss up listen to the hiss now do this with a high quality pre enough said im talking purely about sound quality not what you can make sound good ive heard mixes done on a consumer sound card into cool edit thats put many commercially recorded cds to shame you can make good recordings out of anything

Last edited:
10K is a crazy price!

I picked up a used Allen & Heath Saber 24/16/16/2 with full meter bridge last year from a studio that was switching to a pro tools setup. I picked it up for £361 GBP...that's about $800 I think. It's a 1987 model. The power supply was giving off a bit of noise and that cost me £70 to get it fixed

24 quality mic pre's, great warm sounding 4 band British EQ with 2 sweepable mids HF switchable 6kHz/12kHz, LF switchable 140Hz/70Hz and 80Hz LF cut off.

Each channel has switchable 48V Phantom power, 20Db Pad, Phase reverse, Direct outs, 6 Aux's. It's got more routing options than I'll ever need. This thing oozes warmth!

Save youreslf some cash and get bargain hunting

I'm getting some great feedback on this and thanks. I would really like to hear an answer to my biggest question at hand though....

AumStudioBrian said:
I know this question is pretty relative, but in your opinion, if I wanted a quick fix for my lack of happiness with my Behringer Eurodesk:

Would it be wise to sell my current Behringer and pickup a Soundcraft LX7ii? Would it even be worth the trouble? If its not going to be much better than the Behringer, than its probably not worth it. But I'd like to hear what you all think about the idea. Also, my question is concering sound quality, not features. Thanks--

This is what I'm looking at right now. My 10k Budget was just to get an idea of what's good. But the above is really the question at hand. Thanks--

doulos said:
if you dont have 10 k for a mixer i suggest spending what you do have on nice pres over a low quality board you will get higher quality with good pres over a mackie 8 buss its simple physics less circuitry = cleaner sound
the fastest way to point a and b is a straight line ive mixed on ghosts mackies spirts alen heathen boards etc the best quality ive ever goten concerning any use of digital has been high pres to a digital medium much cleaner sound then a mackie 8 buss to daw your not gonna get analoge warmth from a board if its going to a daw unless the board is vintage design aka neve neve clone old ssl or its a vale tube design thats the facts much easier and cheaper to use good tube pres into a daw if daw is your final medium anyway try it yourself use your ears take a pair of headphones good ones like sennheisers and crank the mix buss up listen to the hiss now do this with a high quality pre enough said im talking purely about sound quality not what you can make sound good ive heard mixes done on a consumer sound card into cool edit thats put many commercially recorded cds to shame you can make good recordings out of anything

when you do all this work do you try to seperate the sounds with panning and different levels for different instruments or do you just leave everything at unity i doubt it based on you lack of trying to seperate a simple sentence with a simple comma or period

If things were recorded right to begin with you shouldnt have to do wild fader ajustments. Your faders should be around unity that way its easier to bring up the overal level and i do most of my editing on the glass to begin with mutes volume automation etc. I mix with the faders and its rare my volume changes go past 3-5 db in diffrence

Well, I'm still on my search, and still saving money! Right now I'm looking at these 2 boards as my strongest prospects. I know a "this vs. that," is always relative, but I'd like to see what you guys think anyway. Remember, I'm focused on sound quality, not features. Which of these has better pre's, EQ, etc.?

- Midas Venice

- Soundcraft Ghost LE

Any comments or suggestions would be helpfull. Thanks--

Last edited:
AumStudioBrian said:
But in the now, I'm loooking at selling my Behringer in hope to better my sound quality and not have to spend a ton more $. I'm currently looking at:

-Soundcraft M12
-Soundcraft LX7

Forget that stuff.

Get a Soundcraft 200 series. Amazing value for the money (500 bucks roughly). 16 or 24 channel/4 buss analog mixer. Smokes anything I can think of near that price range.

I picked up a 24 channel, 8 buss Allen & Heath System 8/248 mixer for 960 bucks about six months ago. It's one of the studio A&H's and vastly superior to the current GL series. The preamps are good and the EQ is excellent. Direct outs on all 24 channels, all 8 busses have 100mm faders, inserts on all 24 channels and 8 busses, etc, etc, etc...

Best 1000 bucks I ever spent on music stuff.

I've been really lovin my Sountracs PC 32. It's like a member of the family. I could only imagine what this thing would sound like if it was a re-capped and whatnot.

Cloneboy Studio said:
Forget that stuff.

Get a Soundcraft 200 series. Amazing value for the money (500 bucks roughly). 16 or 24 channel/4 buss analog mixer. Smokes anything I can think of near that price range.

Best 1000 bucks I ever spent on music stuff.

Look up at my last post (2 posts up).... the Soundcraft M12 and LX7 are not even close to the boards I'm looking at now. I'm now in the $5,000 range, going for either a Midas Venice or a Soundcraft Ghost.

AumStudioBrian said:
Look up at my last post (2 posts up).... the Soundcraft M12 and LX7 are not even close to the boards I'm looking at now. I'm now in the $5,000 range, going for either a Midas Venice or a Soundcraft Ghost.

5,000 bucks eh?

Midas Venice is good.

What about a Soundcraft 800b?

You can *almost* get a Neotek Elite II for that money as well.

Back