Looking for new recording interface

loveofjazz

Sheep Defiler
Howdy, y'all.

Been working quite a bit lately, and haven't had much time for recording.
I recently sold some gear to get a decent laptop (Toshiba Satellite w/an i5 running Win 7 recording with Reaper and Ableton Live 8). I wanted to be able to record on the laptop, so I looked around and found an M-Audio ProFire 610 on CraigsList. Price was good, so I jumped on it. Ended up NOT being able to make it work with the laptop after following all the suggestions from the Avid/M-Audio user forums (which included purchasing the suggested ExpressCard FireWire adapter). :(

Anyway, I'm on the lookout for a decent recording interface that connects via USB. $250.00 to $300.00 will be my price range, and I'm looking for something with 4 outputs. So far, the Focusrite Scarlet 8i6 seems like it might be what I'm seeking.
Still, I'd love to hear some input from y'all.

Took a gamble last night and bought the Focusrite Scarlet 8i6 instead. I've been a devoted user of M-Audio for years, and have many of their products. It was $50.00 more, but I ended up with 4 quarter-inch outputs instead of the 4 RCA outs on the M-Audio Fast Track Pro, as well as Focusrite preamps on inputs one and two. After further thought, I believe the Fast Track Ultra would have served me better but theh price was $350.00 compared to the $250.00 I paid for the Focusrite.

Gonna try it out tonight after work and see how it goes. If I don't like it, I can take it back to GC.

Thought I'd stop back in and comment on this. I've been using the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 with my laptop since I brought it home. It's worked well so far with no glitches, static, or failures. I've used it with both Reaper 4.0 and Ableton Live 8 with no issues.
So far, it's been a nice addition. :)

Back