Looking for drum mic mounts

takk

I have an SM57 for the snare and for the Toms I have 3 Naiant MSH1-K's (they are really tiny. I already have spring loaded clips, but I am looking for drum mount recomendations. thanks.

- Takk

when i first started out i got some crummy plastic clips off ebay that were something like $5 a piece. they don't tighten very well. on stage stands makes one that is about $12 that is much more sturdy.
next area of concern is those spring clips.. sometimes they don't fare so well when they're attached to those drum clamps. the mics can slip if the drummer is really digging into the drums. and the weight of the cable coming out of the mic adds to the weight and lopsidedness...

I had the CAD mounts for a little while and I hated them. They're really heavy and a pain to put on the drum. The way they mount, when you tighten them on the drum they pull on the tension rod and choke the drum a little bit.

I use On stage mic rim clips, but I don't mount them on the rim.
Pics explain better:)

Attachments

• DM50.jpg
    DM50.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 73mini.JPG
    73mini.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 52
Nico, that's pretty cool how you mount them. I suppose that keeps the drum rims from getting damaged, no worries about muffling the ring, and gives you better positioning with the gooseneck. Very smart. Thanks.

For live AND recorded use, the direct drum mounting have caused unwanted noise before bad enough to scrap some good takes. Got alot of unwanted mechanical noise and vibration from the hardware ringing through to the mics directly mounted.

Does anyone make a direct EXTERNAL mount for toms that uses the shock-style mounts like the fancy Large Diaphragm vocal studio mics? I thought May had an internal system that used shock-style mounts but haven't seen the external equivelant with the shock-mounts. This would be so ideal.

Looks like these two products might fit *most* mics and give you full external mounting positioning with full vibration isolation...

This shockmount...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&g=home&base_pid=273164&index=0

...mounted on this drum mic clip..
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Audix-DVice-Drum-Microphone-Clip?sku=270685

for me personally, clips have only caused problems. It's not fun spending a lot of time getting "the perfect sound" for a session, just to have one (or more) of your mics shift. I recommend stands. they may take up more space, but it's worth not going through the ordeal I mentioned.

just my opinion...

those CAD mounts are SOLID but they do tend to choke the drum pulling on the tension rod like that...... those things dont move though.... ever.

BlackHawk2029 said:
those CAD mounts are SOLID but they do tend to choke the drum pulling on the tension rod like that...... those things dont move though.... ever.

I have those mounts but I am trying to get away from them and going to stands. I butchered two of them for parts to make my ceiling mount overhead rig. I used the part where the mic clip screws on to mount booms to my rig.
dcp_0674.jpg

EdWonbass said:
I have those mounts but I am trying to get away from them and going to stands. I butchered two of them for parts to make my ceiling mount overhead rig. I used the part where the mic clip screws on to mount booms to my rig.
dcp_0674.jpg

hey nice rig man. how much did that cost to build total?

BlackHawk2029 said:
hey nice rig man. how much did that cost to build total?

Well actually it didn't cost me anything that I didn't have laying around.
I used some threaded rods that secure the lids on oil drums. They were laying around at work. The black cross piece is a piece of rack rail. I had the boom arms from boom stands I allready had. Like I said, the parts that hold the booms to the cross piece are taken from the CAD rim mounts. The tubes that hide the threaded rod are just cut from an old shower curtain rod, and the wood is just scrap.

Do not buy the On-Stage clips.
They are horrible.

Though surprisingly rugged for OS products, the design is terrible. They cannot be mounted on the drum's counterhoop without putting the mic directly in the line of fire. The mic ends up right in the center of the head, rather than near the edge. This can be off-set a little by using the only adjustment on the clip, but this in turn raises the mic so high, it's no longer effective as a 'close mic', or interferes with something else on the kit. Ridiculous design.

If you're lucky and find the right spot as Nico2112 did, it's possible to attach the clips to something other than the counterhoop, but there's no guaranty.

The only solution is to bend the rail to which the threaded holder/adjustment knob is attached, but this causes the paint to flake and peel away.

This one is awarded the coveted Golden Turd.

I advise against mounted clips for anything but live use, and for a couple of reasons. First of all, the vibrations conducted from a direct drum mount will affect the sound you get. Secondly, there is potential for harm to your mics with extended use. I actually killed a 57 this way. For recording, stands are the only way to go.

MadAudio said:
I advise against mounted clips for anything but live use, and for a couple of reasons. First of all, the vibrations conducted from a direct drum mount will affect the sound you get. Secondly, there is potential for harm to your mics with extended use. I actually killed a 57 this way. For recording, stands are the only way to go.

I agree. I only have one mount left and that is on the floor tom. As soon as I find one more cheap boom I will snag it and be done with the rim mounts.For some reason you can never have enough mic stands. Making my ceiling mounted overhead rig has given me two more straight stands to work with. I just need to buy a couple more booms.

I went and bought the OnStage DM-50 clips. Haven't had a chance to try them yet though. I'm hoping they don't pick-up too much vibration.

I've been using them for about 2 months now (for home recording purposes only), and haven't had any problem with them yet.
The fact that I use goosenecks, give me plenty of positioning options, and the mics are far from "the line of fire". :D

I agree about using mic stands. The only reason I use mounting clips is due to the size of my drum room. I can barely fit my kit in there, so, using more mic stands is out of the question :(

Cheers!

Back