Looking for Cheap Mic boom stands

takk

Any place other than the MusiciansFriend 10 boom stands for $99 or the On-Stage 6 stands for $99?

Any place sell cheap drum mic clips (spring compressed), or a short boom for a kick drum or a little taller for guitar amps?

Radio shack has low-profile mic stands you could use for kick, they aren't boom though. And those musicians friend stands are the best deal I have seen.

Cult_Status02 said:
And those musicians friend stands are the best deal I have seen.

I agree. I paid $40 (which is overpriced, I know) for a good mic stand with boom from a local shop.

My friend bought a few cheap-o's from Musician's Friend that are better than the one I have. They're "durable" plastic. As long as you don't throw them against the wall they would be fine.

imho the musiciansfriend stands are shite. i split a ten pack with some buddies and 2 out of the 4 boom mounts were stripped pretty quickly after nominal use. i have one of the on-stage stands which is much more durable and solid in my experience-- it has lasted for years for me w/o problem. i have a nice (roughly $60) k&m boom stand which seems even better constructed, and so far, very durable. i also have a $100 atlas stand w/o boom which seems like you can run over it with a truck and not have it get damaged (depending how it was oriented, it might damage a wheel of the truck however). i think it's worth spending an extra $5-10 bucks on a better stand that's going to support your mics, which may be pretty big investments on your parts. ymmv

I wouldn't touch either of those. They both look like light-duty, cheap crap.

That is a mic stand... with two cymbals and a 10" tom hanging on it.... (Click image for a bigger picture....)

Tama mic stands rule.

They are the light duty cheap crap. What the hell do you expect for $10 a piece. :p

For home recording, they aren't that bad. Just don't be trying to treat them like something they're not. The crappiest part about the musicians friend stands imo is the threads in the boom are that go to the stand. Tighten it down and never take it apart and you'll be fine. It's cheap cast metal that won't hold up if you take it apart a lot. Both the musicians friend stands and the on stage 10 pack stands are built pretty damn flimsy but you ain't going to get anything better for a measly $10-20 unless you make some out of broom sticks. :p

TravisinFlorida said:
For home recording, they aren't that bad. Just don't be trying to treat them like something they're not. The crappiest part about the musicians friend stands imo is the threads in the boom are that go to the stand. Tighten it down and never take it apart and you'll be fine. It's cheap cast metal that won't hold up if you take it apart a lot. Both the musicians friend stands and the on stage 10 pack stands are built pretty damn flimsy but you ain't going to get anything better for a measly $10-20 unless you make some out of broom sticks. :p

The problem is that even my AT2020 is heavy enough to tip those ultra-light stands unless I don't extend the boom all the way... and MSH mics notwithstanding, that's probably the lightest mic I own.

In that photo above, in the background, you can see one of my pair of Nady mic stands (similar light grade) that I use for overheads. They actually sag with an MK-012 (small SDC) and/or a Nady CM-90 (very small SDC). In fact, the vertical post is actually curved slightly as a result of being set up that way. They're really that sad. :)

And sure, I could add a ten pound weight to make them not tip over, but they would still sag badly, and that ten pound weight would double the cost of the mic stand, bringing it up almost to the price of a mic stand that doesn't suck.... :D

Musicians Friend carries the Tama mic stands, they are very nice....end of line.

1. Breathe into a brown paper bag until it is inflated.
2. Twist the open end shut holding in as much of the exhaled breath as possible.
3. Hold the bag by the twiested end in your left hand.
4. Whilst holding your left hand & arm still rapidly & fairly forcefullybring the palm of your right hand into contact with the bag & follow through until the palm has rebounded from the soft under side of your left hand.
5. Swap L & R as appropriate in step 4 if you're sinister.
SORRY about that.
I bought a new stand for $10 + delivery from eBay. The clamp lasted about 30 minutes - wound it tight enough to hold the boom holding a behri mic &the black plastic clamp/bracket cracked & fell all over the place like teeth after meeting with a swinging bat. I now have a boom and a stand but not together.
I'm using the stuff I paid real money for - & they seem to last.

Back