Looking for Artists

Jack Hammer

I have the connections and funding to develop new artists if I can find the right artist. So far, I have heard quite a bit of material but nothing so great that I am willing to use my resources.

If you had these resources, where would you go to find such artists. I have thought of checking out various sites on the internet but they all are looking for musicians or artists to pay a fee and sign up for some sort of representation (probably worthless but...).

What I am looking for is places and sites where the music can be listend to and the bands and artists contacted. I know the sites are there and I know the aritsts are there. I just need to find them.

Where shall I look?

is there any particular genre/style/etc your connections tend to work with? there are some quality independant band/songwriter sites out there, chock full of people who write their hearts out, and some of them are even good at it!

For instance, you could go down the coast a bit and check out the Songwriters Association of Washington. There is a lot of very good talent in the D.C. area. SAW has regular showcases as well as contests and the like. I would think that you would want to produce someone who writes their own music. They have a website but I have no clue as to how to hyperlink, so I'm not even going to try!

bd

First, I am also JackHammer however, this is the computer from my work location and JackHammer is from my studio at home.

Now, that said, two things in response. For me, the connections tend to be very much in the "urban" music genre. This includes rap, hip hop, r&b etc. Now, because a connection to record companies is not necessarily based upon genre, alternative could be a possibility depending on the quality.

The one thing that is holding me back from searching the web is the problems with downloading music. I have done it and it has worked but lately, all I get is advertisements for computer programs. What am I doing wrong or how should I go about setting this up so I can down load music easily.

PhilMckracken said:
First, I am also JackHammer however, this is the computer from my work location and JackHammer is from my studio at home.

Now, that said, two things in response. For me, the connections tend to be very much in the "urban" music genre. This includes rap, hip hop, r&b etc. Now, because a connection to record companies is not necessarily based upon genre, alternative could be a possibility depending on the quality.

The one thing that is holding me back from searching the web is the problems with downloading music. I have done it and it has worked but lately, all I get is advertisements for computer programs. What am I doing wrong or how should I go about setting this up so I can down load music easily.

Well their big Phil,

You don't like my jokes down in the visitor forum, but I won't hold that against you :D

I'll save you time on searching for the best. Already know who they all are... Either hit me on AIM or come to my website and drop me a line.

http://www.grahament.com/vbulletin/

I take that last part back, there is nothing wrong with the downloading. Powderfingers songs downloaded no problem on this computer so I am going to check the other sites.

As for the Powderfingers stuff, I don't think alternative is the proper genre for my company and connections. I am aware that there is much happening in the alternative arena with respect to independant productions and companies and that is good and can be used to advantage but, over here, urban music such as described above is more to the point.

I would have to say that given the right material either in rap, hip hop, r&b or even the dance genre, I would be able to do something.

For instance, with the reight dance music, I would consider using some of the available resources to obtain pressing and distribution. I would then do the marketing in house. This to varying degrees, would hold true with rap, hip hop and r&b. The only style I would have difficulty with is alternative. There, I would need someone that is very attuned to the scene and really knows whats happening to give the thumbs up or down on a particular project. Once that is done, everything else would be essentially the same.

In the meantime, we are also looking for self contained acts for an up and comming live event. It could potentially involve significant airplay for that act.

BTW, I am not necessarily soliciting here though I am of the opinion that one never knows where the next great act will come from so I do not discount any sources. I am, hwoever, interested in the fact that the reach of the people on this site must be phenomenal and that if there is an artist out there that is truly great and deserves a shot, someone here knows about them. Therefore, putting together that artist with someone like me could very well be a succesful venture.

Anyway, enough of that. I believe I have made my needs clear enough. This to me is almost like looking for a girlfriend. You know, sooner or later the right "girl" "guy" "group" "singer" etc. will come along.

Try http://www.songcatalog.com/ . It's more of a publishers and songwriters trying to license their material site but it might turn up some interesting leads. There's quite a few good songwriters there. I've located several there which will probably be on the first release of my sons' band (Country).

DD

One guy that I know of here on this board....does not fit exactly into the genre you mentioned....but if I were a producer, I would take a GOOD look at scottboyher. I just bumped his post over in the mp-3 forum.

"I have the connections and funding to develop new artists if I can find the right artist. So far, I have heard quite a bit of material but nothing so great that I am willing to use my resources."

What 'connections'? What 'resources'? What's your track record? How many successful artists have you produced? If you are so tuned in to the biz, why are you trolling this site looking for "talent"? There's no talent in NYC? Are you registered as a producer with a performing rights organization? BMI, ASCAP?

Have you tried hanging out at the bus station? That's the place for a musical chicken hawk.:D

Back