looking for an acoustic/electric

SacredDespair

I'm finally sure I want an acoustic/electric, but now the pain of finding the right one begins. For starters, I'm left-handed, and I don't want to spend much more than $400 or $500 on it with case. It doesn't have to be a new guitar, it's just got to be durable and able to last. I'll be using it for gigs and studio, and it will probably serve as my only guitar for a while until I get some more money. Thanks for your help.

Go to a second hand store somewhere around a college campus... play every semi-acoustic they have under 500, then pick the one that plays/sounds best. Haggle to get the case included in the sales price.

I found there's a lot of kids that play guitar in high school, then get tired of it and, when in college, sell their guitar for some quick cash.

Sorry for the completely useless post :)

Joepie said:
Go to a second hand store somewhere around a college campus... play every semi-acoustic they have under 500, then pick the one that plays/sounds best. Haggle to get the case included in the sales price.

I found there's a lot of kids that play guitar in high school, then get tired of it and, when in college, sell their guitar for some quick cash.

Sorry for the completely useless post :)

see, I would try to find one in a secondhand store, but as I said before, I'm left-handed, so I can't find anything there

Acoustics can easily be changedfrom right to left handed.
Put the strings on the other way round - you may have to adjust the nut/bridge or replace them if you need to (depends on how critical it is to your playing style). Seems to methat if you have an issue with that, you're not looking for a cheapy so could find and pay for a high-end lefty.
Don't worry about the pickguard being on the wrong side - it's not that big a deal.
Takamine, Seagull, Yamaha are all brands that have multiple recommendations on this site.
Find one that sounds and plays good to you and buy it.

imho cheap Takamines sound good electric but are very soft acoustically. Seagulls are more difficult to find but sound better unplugged. So it depends on your primary use.

Back