Looking for advise to begin home recording...

Atmarama

Guys I won't lie to you, I am completely new in the world of Home recording. A singer/songwriter branching out:)... These two pc interfaces are selling here -

1)M-Box 1 with protools LE - $250

2)Inca88- 8 in/out recording soundcard and breakout box for $125 with no software.........

Which would you recommend for quality home recording? If something else, then what? Budget is not too flush though...;)

The inca has no mic preamps, so you'd need additional equipment. Do you need 8 channels of input? If you can get by with less channels, mbox's are pretty decent, and they come with protools LE.

The inca has no mic preamps, so you'd need additional equipment. Do you need 8 channels of input? If you can get by with less channels, mbox's are pretty decent, and they come with protools LE.

Fully... is $250 a good price for it? Also I've read a few dodgy things about it, like bad preamps etc?? Generally pretty good though?

few points to throw in the mix.

while i'd say protools is great yada yada, if you get used to it and decided to upgrade hardware sometime, it's a very expensive company to stick with!

so if you do upgrade, you're either shelling out over the odds to stay in your comfort zone, or having to learn new software.

also, mbox 1 will only take you as far as PT7. 8 isn't supported, and neither are any future upgrades. it's 'struck off' for want of a better phrase.

maybe none of this affects you, but worth saying i think :)

finally, you could get a used mbox2 with PT8 for about $200.
there's one on the forum here
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=308528

Yeah that's true.. You can buy a lot of other interfaces that come with Cubase LE for that price. For 2-channel solutions, I'm a big fan of USB mixers. If you need more inputs, for say recording a drum kit, you'll pay a little more. Firestudios cost 500-ish and include a DAW software. There's also Reaper, which is a free full-version forever, and only costs $50 or 60 to register it. Then you could buy ANY interface except digi. What do you need?

Back