Looking for advice on VST packs, and DAW

oildrops

I have a gift card for $300 and plan on using it for recording software. I've been using Cubase LE5 for a long time. I also have LE9, but seem to go back to LE5. I realize I can't get all of this in one shot, but would like to kill as many birds with one stone as possible, so here are the things I want to add:

Drum samples:

I'm recording demos with a cheap electronic kit, and would like to ditch the module sounds and track midi with samples instead. I don't really need 100 different kits, but some nice realistic sounding, minimally processed classic kits for folk and rock.

Keyboard samples:

The three basic sounds I want are a growly Rhodes, Juno type pads, and a minimoog that can do a decent filter sweep. I have an XW-P1 synth that does a decent job, so this is probably the lowest priority.

Mixing tools:

I'm wanting to step up from the free VSTs I've been using, and see if I can get better results with some better plugins.

So, I'm leaning toward spending the money on a drum pack, and then a good compressor and EQ plugin. The issue I find is that I don't need 100 drum kits. I just want a few of each. Are there any options for that? And would it be more cost effective to just invest in a better DAW that might come with some good drums, keys and mixing tools? I've spent a few hours looking around at whats available, but I'm wondering if I missed something. I also don't know what is included with full featured DAWs.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! FWIW I've been using the Kjaerhus Audio Classic Series for nearly everything, along with tubedriver and oldskoolverb.

I like the sounds of the drums from EZ Drummer 2, but that will eat a good part of your budget. I'm a Reaper person ($60 to register, free to try it out).

You will probably be better off updating your DAW as a lot of the VST's are moving to optimization for the latest and dropping legacy availability. A good place to start for newbs and returning home recordists is to check Devs websites for free apps and such. Here are some i recommend trying Free | Products

Back