Looking for a Wider neck

CavityCr33p

I'm looking around, getting ready for a new guitar in the near future (hopefully) and I am trying to find something that has a wide flat neck.

I've always been a Fender guy, but the Fender I have now has a small thin neck (which I thought I loved, until I realized that my super long fingers and huge hands were hindering my abilitiy on this guitar).

I played a Ibanez Ax 320? It was the style of this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33043&item=7327592023&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

but was a 6 string and had a neck through body (really nice guitar). The neck on it seemed to be almost perfect, I was going to buy the guitar off of the guy, but he got it from someone who owed him money, and I didnt want to be caught up in some crazy ordeal in the future.

I believe it was a AX 320 or something similiar......

Anyways, anybody know of any Wide flat neck guitars that are pretty good for metal? I love the old Ibanez RG style super strats but I am afraid the neck is going to be too small. Any recommendations? I'm looking for a sub $500 used and I am open to any brand. High gain pickups would be nice too, I've learned that tapping on my Fender just isnt cutting it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33043&item=7327374034&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I had a friend in a similar situation to yours - his fingers were just to big to chord cleanly. He used to play a 12 string and just strung it with 6 strings. It was an acoustic, but I suppose a 12 string electric would work about the same. Not sure about getting one under $500 though....I haven't priced them lately.

Wide, flat necks are indeed great for shredding. I used to search them out.

The Ibanez Wizard necks are pretty good. I have one on my RG550. As a step up, I think you can get the Jem style on the RG750, which I also have. And yes, the necks aren't that wide.

The widest, flattest neck I have ever played is on my Fender HM Strat. If you like the Fender tone using a humbucker, you can add the HM Strat to your list of guitars to audition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7266&item=7328319540&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Carvin is now offering options on fretboard radius and offers choices of fretwire. The have an excellent discussion board where you can get some advice on configuring a shredder.

Metal Guitars

Check out anything by Jackson or ESP, those are the two largest metal genre guitar companies. Ibanez has the Wizard 2 which is probably the flattest tho. Just go to the store and ask to play everything by those brands and you'll end up deciding yourself.

Awesome, actually, I was always under the impression that the wizard necks were thinner, but my co-worker who owns a ibanez, said that its thinner in thickness.

I have always wanted a Ibanez Rg-570, they look nice and have the wizard necks.

Whats up with the scalloped fretboard? I saw this on a guitar earlier....weird.

Thanx for all of the suggestions! I love ESP, not too fond of Jackson.

Yup...the 570 is thin (flat) and quite wide. The 570 is a fun playing guitar and a good bargain but after awhile, the pups wear me out...they're very brash sounding.

I have a 550, a 570...even a 320 DX which I think has the Wizard (not the wiz II) which is a bound neck and has a slightly thicker profile. The're all inexpensive guitars and perfect for personal upgrades and modifications...mine have all become "experimental"...I've added better floyds and pups...the 320 now has a sustainer in it.

Warmouth makes necks for repair and building guitars. They offer a choice of neck profiles and illustrate all. If their info is to be believed the Charvel Jackson necks are by far the flattest. Wide is another question. They have alot of cool info.

punkin said:
Yup...the 570 is thin (flat) and quite wide. The 570 is a fun playing guitar and a good bargain but after awhile, the pups wear me out...they're very brash sounding.

I have a 550, a 570...even a 320 DX which I think has the Wizard (not the wiz II) which is a bound neck and has a slightly thicker profile. The're all inexpensive guitars and perfect for personal upgrades and modifications...mine have all become "experimental"...I've added better floyds and pups...the 320 now has a sustainer in it.

Yea, I was going to change the pickups, maybe put a dimebucker in the bridge. Who knows?

I'll be on the lookout for a 570, for some reason Im almost stuck on this guitar.

Yes, a few years ago I had a 73 Les Paul Goldtop deluxe, sweetest guitar I have ever played, the only downfall was the mahogony body...

HEAVY

I loved the neck on it tho.

CavityCr33p said:
Yes, a few years ago I had a 73 Les Paul Goldtop deluxe, sweetest guitar I have ever played, the only downfall was the mahogony body...

HEAVY

I loved the neck on it tho.

I know what you mean about the weight.

I got used to it in the end ;)

Carvin necks are a little wider and flatter than most, especially fender.
Overall construction is WAYYYYY better !
You might try them.

Back