Looking for a way to record/playback 8 tracks

EpicMouse

Hi I'm a newbie to this domain. I am looking for hardware that will allow me to record 8 separate inputs to my PC, and playback 8 separate tracks from my PC to speakers. The key is I need to record the tracks simultaneously but separately. I can't mix them before being sent to my PC.

This is for recording speech and therefor I only need to support 16bit/16khz audio. I don't need any of the high def stuff.

My initial thought is just to buy a large USB hub and plug in a big array of USB speakers and mics. I'm not sure if this would work and it seems a bit messy, but it is my fallback plan?

Are there any all-in-one cards that will accomplish this for me? My google searched have returned nothing but discontinued products (UA-101, Delta 1010 [why do these products all sound like flight numbers?]) which seems kind of strange.

FWIW I will be writing my own audio processing software for this.

The new Motu 8 pre is also good.
You have a lot of Audio Interfaces with 8 pre's.
The best way is to order 2 or more. So you can try them out and think about what is better for you.

why would you capture voice at 16kHz? surely you want at least 44.1kHz sample rate, if not...seriously don't bother.

Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. And if you need more than 8, you can add on 8 more with an adat interface for under 200 bucks. You will need a firewire input on your computer. If you have a mac, that's not a problem. It exist on all macs. Even the new macs, have an adapter, that makes it so the thunderbolt adapter, adapts to firewire. Problem solved for mac.

For PC, well, the same things exist in the USB land. They may not be to the level of firewire but if it's the only option it's the only option. As a matter of fact. Focusrite, literally makes the same thing with USB. I forget the name of it. I believe it' the one mentioned above focus rite scarlet 1810 or something like that. I don't go far into USB land so I don't remember.

I have come to trust Focusrite more than I would anyone else. It doesn't mean other companies aren't making quality products. I just have experience with their stuff and it seems to never fail me. Except for the fact that the second firewire port blew out, which I wasn't using anyway btw. lol Things like that will happen.

Before you go buy a USB one, check to see if you have a firewire port.

Back