Looking for a tube Channel strip

slickshoe62

I am looking for a tube channel strip the may be compared to the tube tech MEC-1A channel strip. I know that the tube tech goes for $3,500+ brand new, but I was looking for something that had the same features, eq, compression, and a very low self noise for around half that.

If anyone has had any experience with the tube tech MEC-1A and others like it, Id like to hear what you have to say about it.

I really like the way it opens up on vocals, a very airy and silky quality while still retaining the warmth and body

Right now I am just starting to build up my equipment.
Im using an RME fireface, Phoenix Audio DRS-2, and an API 3124.
Im also looking at the Phoenix Audio Nicerizer and the Emperical labs FATSO and Distressor if anyone has any opinions on that.

This might be a better question for the boys over at gearslutz. Most of us here don't have experience with a wide variety of the high-end stuff, although some do. I'm pretty sure anything from Phoenix Audio or Emperical Labs is going to be good, and the Distressor gets a lot of love on internet forums.

You are asking for a lot for around $2000. The only things I can think of off the top of my head is the Universal Audio 6176. The self noise is OK, the preamp can be really awesome (depending on the source, mic, and what you are after), it has a little bit of EQ, and the compressor is sweet. You should be able to find a used one for around $1600 or so. Another option is to try and find a used Pendulum Audio Quartet. That may be hard to find though since its pretty rare for someone to actually want to get rid of one.

I have never used the Phoenix Audio Nicerizer, so I cannot comment on that with the exception that Phoenix always seems to make a very solid product. The EL stuff is really cool. I have used the Distressor a lot and the Fatso quite a few times. Personally, I would get a pair of Distressors before I bought a Fatso. Not to use the Distressors in stereo mode (they aren't as hot as you might think as a 2 buss comp), but just to have more Distressors:D The Fatso is a really nice piece that just takes a little parameter control from you, but gives you a 1 box, 2 buss solution for just a little more than a mono Distressor. The Fatso really does a great job doing exactly what you might think based on its name....FATTENING! It is however one of those pieces you have to be careful not to overuse. It sounds killer when you drive it, but often times later on you wish you may have let it out a bit. I know that when I solo busses that are run through it (like a drum or guitar buss) it sounds awesome when you really slam it pretty good. However, it will quickly take over a mix and you end up backing it down a bit:(

slickshoe62 said:
I am looking for a tube channel strip the may be compared to the tube tech MEC-1A channel strip. I know that the tube tech goes for $3,500+ brand new, but I was looking for something that had the same features, eq, compression, and a very low self noise for around half that.

Avalon 737 or 747(a lil more)

Back