Looking for a stereo recording option for acoustic guitar (mainly)

Shiny Rhino

I'm in the market for a matched pair of mics that I'll mainly be using for recording acoustic guitars. I'm trying to decide if I should be looking at a pair of SDC pencil mics with interchangeable capsules, or should I get a matched pair of multi pattern LDC's that would allow me more options such as mid-side etc.

What would you do?

Well, what do you want? SDC give a more accurate response in the higher frequencies. LDC microphones tend to add coloration. For me, if the coloration is right, screw the accuracy!!! :laughings:

I'm in the market for a matched pair of mics that I'll mainly be using for recording acoustic guitars. I'm trying to decide if I should be looking at a pair of SDC pencil mics with interchangeable capsules, or should I get a matched pair of multi pattern LDC's that would allow me more options such as mid-side etc.

What would you do?

Your going to want and be happy with one of each.

Your going to want and be happy with one of each.

As in 1 SDC, and one multipattern LDC? do away with the matched pair notion?

I currently have a mxl 2001 that has had a U47fet mod which is cardioid or omni, and a SP C1 cardioid. I don't really like either on my acoustic, if I record closely at the 12th fret, it's too boomy, and then too roomy and lacking detail with far miking. I have a nice sounding acoustic, but can't get it to sound that great recorded, easily.

Yes as in 1 SDC and 1 LDC maybe you should start to look for a better set of microphones? Or maybe not. For the magic is all within the placement of the microphones.

For the magic is all within the placement of the microphones.
+1 +1 +1

I own a pair of Behringer c-2, small diaphragms. Ew, behringer, I know. When I actually take my time and get the placement right, they don't sound half bad, especially considering I paid $50 for the pair :D

Drew

Back