Looking for a specific interface

Fartnokker

Hey all,

I'm curious to know if a beast of this sort exists... I'm happy with the preamps on my analog mixing console and outboard pres, so what I'd like to know is whether or not there's a decent interface out there that meets these parameters:

- at least 8 analog (line level) inputs; any extra digital (ADAT, SPIDF) inputs are unnecessary but not harmful

- NO onboard preamps!

- PCI or Firewire interface

- Headroom of at least 107dB for A/D conversion

- Not outrageously priced (I know, that's a subjective thing!)

Any insight would be appreciated, as I haven't found such a thing yet. Thanks!

studiomaster said:
Consider MOTU as well...

Speaking of MOTU (and I know you said you didn't want mic pres but...)
has anyone seen the 8pre? It doesn't seem to be on MOTU's website yet, but I'm looking at it in an AD on the back page of Electronic Musician.

So basically it's an 8 channel mic/line/instrument FW interface.
The front has -20db Pad, phantom power, and gain for EACH channel. headphone jack, and volume knob. As well as analog IN meter /Mode/Clock Source/Optical display similar to the other MOTU FW devices.

The back has the analog Inputs (combo jacks) 1/4" Main Outputs, 2 FW ports. MIDI In/Out, Power and two ADAT Ins, two ADAT outs. The reason for the 2 in/2 out ADAT is so you can use both to run at 88.2/96 if you want.

No idea on the price. And as cool as it looks, I wish they gave a 2nd pair of analog outputs. No really simple way to get a monitor mix going.

"Reasonably priced" is HIGHLY subjective; everyone wants something for nothing.

I'm using a Motu828mkII and it is excellent and worth every penny ($700) I paid for it. Besides the 8 line-ins and outs on the back, you'll get 2 good preamps on the front, 8 ADAT channels and S/PDIF in and out plus MIDI. You can stack 3 of them on a firewire chain for 60 simultaneous channels and (unlike other firewire interfaces) when you disconnect the computer it'll work by itself as a stand-alone mixer for gigging.

Heres a review:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/review_of_the_motu_828_mk2_audio.htm

Thanks for the input, guys. You put me on the track I needed, and I'm looking at possibly the MOTU 2408, which has no pres but 8 analog inputs.

Back