Looking for a relatively cheap recording soundcard.

TripleJ

Hi,

I'm new here, its good to see a forum dedicated to home recording!

I am looking to buy a soundcard to record with. Now I am going to be using a mixer and then recording track by track into my pc and then multi-tracking on my pc. I am not interested in a direct multitracking on the PC.

Now what kind of soundcard shoudl I be looking for? I want one with no hum (obviously) but does that mean I should be looking for balanced inputs or what?

Can I have digital inputs then digital outputs on my mixer?

Thankyou for these questions,
-Dan

PS: Cheaper the better - but I'm still willing to pay a bit - but I don't want to pay for features I wouldn't use.

Cheap : $200 AUS

About 120 US I suppose.

I am thinking my onboard sound (nForce - Abit NF7-S Mobo) would be out of the question.

If so could someone explain why its so poor? :)

TripleJ said:
If so could someone explain why its so poor? :)

1. Crappy ADC/DAC's. More succeptible to noise interference from your computer components (fan, HD).
2. Onboard audio card drivers were never written with low latency WDM/ASIO performance in mind - only gaming and surround sound DVD watching.

if your feeling adventurous , some folks using ntrack recording software report that using a sblive with kx drivers i think they are called works.
might want to give it a try if dirt cheap above on board sound is your need.
used sblives can be had for about 10 bucks. if you look around.
or for money i would agrree with audiophile 2496.
fyi - tracertek.com have a 4 in maya mk2 24/96 sound card for 100 bucks.
its very new so no user reviews yet. a pro card to consider is rme - but the money demon.....

manning1 said:
if your feeling adventurous , some folks using ntrack recording software report that using a sblive with kx drivers i think they are called works.
might want to give it a try if dirt cheap above on board sound is your need.
used sblives can be had for about 10 bucks. if you look around.
or for money i would agrree with audiophile 2496.
fyi - tracertek.com have a 4 in maya mk2 24/96 sound card for 100 bucks.
its very new so no user reviews yet. a pro card to consider is rme - but the money demon.....

I live in Australi - so I am not so inclined to purchase from the states. :(

Back