appleyardrules

i currently have a presonus firepod and will be selling it
im looking for a new computer interface
either firewire or pci
that has a good amount of iunputs but also great converters
basically anything a step up from the firepod quality wise
my budget is around 1600 dollars
any recommendations?

A lot depends upon your I/O needs. How many pres do you need/want? What kind of digital I/O capabilities are you looking for (e.g. lightpipe, S/PDIF, etc.), do you want/need word clock, etc.

G.

well im gunna say
that
i will need to record probably 6 mics at a time at the most
and word clock is not nessecary
lightpipe would be fantastic especially if the interface only has like 4 pre's
so i could expand
but again what i really want is good converters to
how are the motu 896hds?

I rather like the MOTU gear. I have an old 2408 that has served me quite well over the years. I can't comment on the MOTU preamps, however, as I have no direct experience with those. But I like MOTU design and construction overall rather much.

One new product that I have not used but has me very intrigued is the new Sapphire Pro from Focusrite. The Green premaps used in there are not Focusrite's best, but I'd take those over the Presonus. And that box is a bargain for Focusrite. Whether that's a bad or a good indicator, I don't know, but for construction and conversion by Focusrite, it's worth a little research I believe.

G.

no i love my firepod
i just want to try something new
with different features
IMO though the firepod is sick
my experience has been wonderfull and i never had a problem with it and ive had it for a year
i just kind of want to "p[lay the field" if you will

yeah mackie makes the 400f
but that has no adat optical

i was looking at the mackei 1200f but then i realized its not out yet -___-

i'll second RME fireface 400 or 800 - esp if you wanna spend 1.5 grand on something.
RME has converters that are very noticebly better than the below $700 firewire/USB unit range...space and clarity is improved a lot...so look into that, if they do what you need. ha.

Back