Looking for a matched pair SDC

kwokwok

I’ve recently reignited my passion for recording. I do mainly acoustic/electric guitar stuff and will do some drum micing for my band soon.

To go with every passion reignition… come gas (gear acquisition syndrome).. and I’ve been looking into a pair of matched SDC for playing around stereo micing and drum micing (by themselves)

I’ve been considering a pair of Rode NT5 for a while (cos they are on ‘sale’ here in Aus for around AUD$499 ~ USD$450)… but last night I’ve discovered Joe Meek JM27s for about USD250 delivered to Aus…

I have always been a Rode fan but to be honest I cant justify spending 500 for a hobby.. and I have never had any experience with Joe Meek products.. anyone think its worth double to get the nt5? Or are there other choices I can look into around the 200~500 price range?

Thanks All.:)

p.s. i currently own :

Shure SM57 x2
Rode NT1A x1
Rode M3 x1

and record via Tascam U122L

Last edited:
yea i've realised how cheap behringer mics are.. but i've had a behringer amp b4 and it sounded crap AND was unreliable... so im trying to stay away from cheap chinese made stuff (im chinese so im allowed to diss them~)

looking for something with mediocre quality

You already have four mics but only two inputs. Buy an interface with four input and use the four mics you have. Or score a small mixer and learn how to mix without drum replacement and 300 plugs per track. Put one 57 on kick, one on snare, either the NT1A or the M3 out front and the other over your right shoulder. Until you get a good sound doing that, you are wasting your money on different mics.

If you don't have properly tuned drums, tune them. If you have crap cymbals, spend your koalas on better cymbals. There is no microphone in the world that makes crap cymbals sound good.

thanks guys i will give that a try this weekend

i have an old peavey mixer with 6 inputs .. i assume i can output into the Tascam and into my laptop?

yea i've realised how cheap behringer mics are.. but i've had a behringer amp b4 and it sounded crap AND was unreliable... so im trying to stay away from cheap chinese made stuff (im chinese so im allowed to diss them~)

looking for something with mediocre quality
No you are not.
You have never had that particular microphone but chose to go ahead and "Diss" them anyway.
In so doing, you "Dissed" my advice.

The Behringer C-2 mics are a pretty sweet deal I use mine for recording all sorts of things including acoustic guitar, acoustic bass guitar and drum overheads. They are my goto mics for live drum overheads as well.

No you are not.
You have never had that particular microphone but chose to go ahead and "Diss" them anyway.
In so doing, you "Dissed" my advice.

Behringer just got a bad rep for not working about half the time...sounding bad and being very noisy...I too wouldnt have them...but I have plenty of far better options in my locker.

Dont be suprised if you are the only guy that would put thier trust in them.

On the other hand $50 for a pair of mics just wouldnt be possible with any other company.

If I had to tell him my recomendation for SDCs Id say a pair of AT4041 mics...but Id rather have 2 shure KSM32s...the 3/4" diaphrams are better IMHO.

You already have four mics but only two inputs. Buy an interface with four input and use the four mics you have. Or score a small mixer and learn how to mix without drum replacement and 300 plugs per track. Put one 57 on kick, one on snare, either the NT1A or the M3 out front and the other over your right shoulder. Until you get a good sound doing that, you are wasting your money on different mics.

If you don't have properly tuned drums, tune them. If you have crap cymbals, spend your koalas on better cymbals. There is no microphone in the world that makes crap cymbals sound good.

Agreed! You already have enough decent mics to record what you want. And make sure your recording space and monitoring chain are up to par before going forward with other gear purchases.

You already have enough mics. The real question is what are you trying to improve? Or is it just a curiousity factor? That looks pretty, what does it do....

$500 on a hobby is really not that much. $500 a DAY on the other hand... I've got a few hobbies, and recording gear wise, is actually cheap in comparison. Especially when you factor in that the gear itself retains some of it's value. So it's not really money spent from a certain point of view. Although it is a lot of money, if you get something that you don't actually use, and have difficulty in selling.

NT5's for $500-ish (in USD terms) can be bested by a number of mics. Not that they're bad mics, but you could do better for the same cash (or just buy used). My STO-2's are only $550 NEW. There's something to be said about a matched pair of mics. But if you don't "need" that functionality, you can get by with what you've got. Or get new functionality with a Zoom H2 / H4 or other combo device.

Back