Looking for a good pair of cheap closed-back headphones

Depends what cheap means but I love my Sennhesier HD280s.
I picked up a set of 201s just for tracking and they don't compare at all for isolation.

I've used mine daily for about 5 years now.
Admittedly they're starting to show signs of needing reupholstered but seriously...they've had some use.
If I can't get parts I'll definitely pick up a new pair. They're great.

If you need to really isolate the outside, and also have loud, decent sound in the cans....the studio veteran Koss Pro 4AA are the ticket. They clamp on solid and don't move with every tug of the headphone cable.

I've been using a set of 280's for a couple of years now, and I find them superb for tracking

They are a little too dark for me to mix on them, but I've got HD25's for that (when it's too late at night to crank up the monitors)

I use Sony MDR 7506's. Isolation seems average and I find them to be a little bright overall. They are super comfortable though and have extraordinary detail in the mids and highs. I think they're around 100 bucks?

Senn 280's have been a great addition for me, but only as far as monitoring post track. I have several pair though out my studio, but have found that they bleed a bit much when the gain is hot. The Sound Isolation Ex-29's are very much worth the couple extra dollars. My drummers and bassists swear by them due to their low end, but I have found that for very hot recordings, when the Ex-29's are in play there is far less clean up to do.

Back