Looking for 1/2” Scotch 206 or 207

lonewhitefly

… anyone have any for sale? Ideally looking for NOS, but reality is what it is so used is also alright.

Best,

Donny

I might have a reel of each, or maybe a reel of one and a half of another. Definitely not NOS tho’, and still buried from my move in the Fall…it would be an act of spelunking to get to them…

LOL I may hit you up if I get desperate
Okay. And for you I would spelunk if you get desperate. I respect your interest in 206/207. It’s stood the test of time pretty well, although there are some limited reports of sticky 206/207. I have some NOS reels of 1” 206, and used reels of 2” 206…how cool is that. Hoping it’s A-OK. On a “modern” machine or on a pro vintage machine you could smash the sh!t outta +3 206 and get some heavy saturation…what machine are you looking to roll the 206/207 on, Donny?

Cool, thanks

If all goes according to plan, should have a Scully 280 4-track here again in a bit. Looking to get some tape in order so I’m prepared. Not sure on exact timeline yet, maybe a month or two.

Scotch 202/203 is actually my favorite tape, but it’s a bit fragile at this point. I’ve always used it for mixdown, but for multi I found 206/207 to have some of that sound but with better stability and running smoother for so many runs back & forth with the backcoating.

My only machine at the moment is a mid-‘60s Ampex 602 1/4”, which I cut my last recording to. I’ll be using this one to mix it down (to Scotch 203).

The NOS reels are out there … in my experience, it’s a matter of keeping your eye out over months/years, and being willing and able to shell out the cash, and snagging them when the moment arrives. I haven’t been on the hunt for awhile, but let’s face it this stuff is becoming more and more scarce every year.

I’ve never had a problem finding NOS 1/4” for 202, 203, 206, or 207. It’s the 1/2” and up that are rare. Probably because that was studio tape, and 1/4” were sold in hifi shops etc to tons of home stereo people back in the day.

Right. That’s why I mentioned the 1” and 2” I have. I feel like it’s pretty rare.

Wait…did I see a post from you on the Scully Yahoo group? Was that you looking for a 280-4? And you found one?

Oh … RE: sticky. I’ve used quite a lot of 206/207, over many recent years, used and NOS tape dating back from probably the ‘60s (or early ‘70s) through to the ‘80s, and never encountered a reel that didn’t perform well. I think they maybe flake/shed a little more than some other tapes, but not sticky at all. That’s my experience.

Right. That’s why I mentioned the 1” and 2” I have. I feel like it’s pretty rare.

Wait…did I see a post from you on the Scully Yahoo group? Was that you looking for a 280-4? And you found one?
Yep that was me and I did find one, not from that post though. It was via a vintage audio dealer on Instagram of all places. He has a stash of serious gear in LA. So it’s gonna need to be set up and gone through etc, then transported up here to Oakland. Hopefully the storms will be done by that time, fingers crossed

… and yeh it’s a chunk of cash. That’s the other thing. Prices have about quadrupled since I bought my last multitrack around 2015.

… also worth noting- remember Beck from this forum way back? If I recall, he sold me two NOS reels of Scotch 207 for the Scully 4-track I had, back in 2012. Those were the days.

… also worth noting- remember Beck from this forum way back? If I recall, he sold me two NOS reels of Scotch 207 for the Scully 4-track I had, back in 2012. Those were the days.
Oh I know…Beck, The Ghost of FM, miss those guys…don’t know if cjacek and A Reel Person are still lurking or gone. Glad for the regulars we have here and old days folks like you. I’m probably stupid enough to try and climb over the gear hoard tonight even though somehow some whiskey fell down my throat just to verify what old 1/2” Scotch is in the collection. The only 1/2” machine I have here is a Tascam 58 but I still have all that Quantegy 456 I bought from you, which is really the right tape for that machine. Stay tuned.

I somehow made it all the way to the back of the pile. All I can find is a partial pancake of 207 on original hub in original box.

My current view:

8E4DCFFC-2A42-4757-841C-0AEBF83B7E68.jpeg

The pancake:

79A3F712-4622-41DD-9EC3-C43B8CC07C40.jpeg

D8BCEFA5-6433-4470-A3DA-0739FBD7BF1C.jpeg

9955DADF-08D2-4A24-BDD5-A33CEE9BF46F.jpeg

PM me if interested.

Scotch 202/203 is actually my favorite tape, but it’s a bit fragile at this point. I’ve always used it for mixdown, but for multi I found 206/207 to have some of that sound but with better stability and running smoother for so many runs back & forth with the backcoating.

I bought a sealed reel of 1/2" 203 from the early '70s back in 2006....it was beautiful, a wonder to behold, but the tape was full of drop-outs, NOS! Recorded a few songs on it. on the few 3 minutes patches that were useable. I think I've still kept the metal reel though.

I somehow made it all the way to the back of the pile. All I can find is a partial pancake of 207 on original hub in original box.

My current view:

View attachment 124850

The pancake:

View attachment 124853

View attachment 124856

View attachment 124859

PM me if interested.
I have a reel of that still sealed! And it's already on a pretty Scotch precision reel. Bought off eBay years ago for some ridiculous low price. the guy had a bunch more and i snagged only one right as the auction ended. The rest didn't sell but he didn't relist!

I have a reel of that still sealed! And it's already on a pretty Scotch precision reel. Bought off eBay years ago for some ridiculous low price. the guy had a bunch more and i snagged only one right as the auction ended. The rest didn't sell but he didn't relist!
Cool … you wanna sell it to me? 😃

Back