Lookin to Upgrade

Ninja_Drummer

Hey guys,

I've been meanin' to upgrade for a while now. I'm currently working with an Alesis IO26 8 channel preamp/ 1/4 input firewire interface. All going through Cubase LE4.

I'm starting to get very very very tired of the constant issues I'm receiving from Cubase and I also want to upgrade the amount the amount of XLR I have if possible.

I've been thinking of switching to Ableton Live or something, though pricey...

As for hardware, in addition to more XLR inputs, I want an interface or mixer that I could maybe work with editing and tracking within a host recording software individually if you know what I mean. Kinda like with the IO26 I have now where I can go in Cubase and edit/record every little input/track from my interface.

If anyone can point me in the right direction that'd be great.

I'm lookin at a budget of around up to maybe $800 if possible, excluding the new recording software.

Thanks

Try adding a preamp with Adat in. The IO26 has adat inputs so use that to your advantage. Then you can look at software. Abelton is nice but may push you over your budget a bit depending what preamp you get. Reaper is a great option for recording at $40 but if your looking for groove based, DJ styled production Abelton may be right for you.

Naw, I'm no dj or music production/composer, just for band recording, tracking, and mixing is all really. I had reaper installed on my laptop prior to switching over to this computer. I tinkled a lil with it but didn't go too much into details.

As for ADAT, I'm not sure as to how to use the ADAT, never had. I never really understood what features ADAT (or even S/PDIF for that matter, besides for computers of course) had. If someone could give me a lil intro to what it is and how it works would be great.

I had also found LE4 to be very buggy. LE 5 is much better. Did you download the update and hotfix from Steinberg? Even then 4 still had issues. Cubase 5 is very stable if you are already familiar with Cubase and don't want to learn another. You can get Essential 5 for $150. Otherwise Reaper is supposed to be pretty stable as well. I just don't care for the workflow myself.

I did install the hotfix, and same here, still retained issues over and over again. I may try reaper a bit more detailed in the future to familiarize in case I go insane with Cubase. Otherwise though, I may just look into a better version of cubase, though steinberg really isn't satisfying me right now with all these issues.

I hear ya man. I will say that Cubase is very stable as of the 5.5 update. Remember that LE 4 is just a poorly put together intro program based upon Cubase 4 that was released in 2004. Many things have changed since then. I don't mean to sound like a salesperson by any means, but I learned on LE 4 and did not want to have to relearn another DAW then. I lucked out by getting LE5 with my 1641 and things changed. I upgraded to full version of 5 just before the introduction of 6. I am so glad I did. All that I had learned was not lost now with a version of Cubase that was flawless for me. I have since upgraded to 6, which is even more stable than previous. Shit! battery dying! .....................

Anyway, use the software that works for you. I would suggest that you try not to base your opinion on an outdated, limited, free edition of software that was known to have issues. Download a free trial of Cubase 6 and others. Form your judgement from there. Everyone's brain thinks differently. Each software is based from a different programming approach based on this. Find yours for yourself.

Jimmy

I'll think about it, it's a heavy decision with all the money flow flyin around. Not only was I intending to upgrade software but gettin some actual ref monitors instead of mixing on headphones. As well as expanding my inputs and whatnot. But will definitely consider the bump up to full.

* Reaper is $40. I knew protools and didn't have too much trouble with Reaper (still learning), but it's pretty easy and well documented and awesome.
* 8 XLR inputs on Saffire Pro 40 $500. No mixer, but no latency either and works with everything and expandable.
* Rokit 5 monitors (pair) $300. I don't have them, but they seem really nice from what I've heard, and KRK stuff usually gets good reviews. I use some old 5" maudio speakers and they get the job done for cheap.

All that and only $40 over budget! Or you can look used and save some dough.

I agree with getting Reaper and a Saffire Pro 40. I use a Firepod but every day I wish it was a Saffire 40.

ADAT is optical digital sound. You can use a Saffire Pro 40, which has 8 of its own preamps, and then add 8 more with another ADAT preamp device.

Back