Lookin for a new Mic

johnnypraze

Hip Hop Head
I have a Shure SM7B (not SM57) that I'm selling. It had a nice sound, but I wasnt blown away by it like how most people talk about it.

I'm looking for something in the sub $500 department. I have a nice Pre. a UA-610.

Right now, I'm thinking about the ADK Hamburg. Any other ideas?

I need something a little darker as my voice can be "essy".

All info is appreciated.

That mic pre that you have is not ideal for hip hop. It's a tube pre and for hip hop you want the bite and clarity of something solid state.

That said, I have a sibilant voice too and my choice for a vocal mic is the Oktava MK319. It's often classed as 'dark', but for my purposes it's the shit.

The ADK sounds good, so does the MK319, If you're thinking about another dynamic try an RE20, Sometimes if you're lucky a good deal on a AT 4050 comes across on ebay. I'd recomend all the mics depending on the voice.

I'm also a fan of the Shure KSM27.

All the mics I have mentioned I own with the exception of the 4050 and have used them to record rap.

I disagree with ssscientist about your pre though i think it's great for rap. Hell it's on par with the avalon that alot of rappers use. psst... the 737sp is a tube pre.

I grabbed the AT 4050 of a ebay, mint conditon, for $325.00, which was straight highway robbery. Not only was I bugging because it was a steal, but it is also an awesome mic and shouldn't be slept on!

I got a Nuemann TLM 193 mic from a studio for $500, that was a steal for me.
Hows that AT4050? The SA ST77 mic is a real nice mic too. I also liked the KSM32

Rode NTK (right around your price point) or Neumann TLM103 (there's one for sale over in the ads for 650... it's worth the extra 150)....

However, I kinda think the HD421 would be a great dynamic for rap vocals..

TLM 103 is hit or miss for the people I personally know who have one, some love it and some hate it so try it out if you can. As far as my mics, I love my KSM27, AT4040 is good but leaves me with more to desire on vocals, V93 well not a go to mic for anything here except maybe female pop type vocals.

4050 is good on anything from what I've heard so far and GS has a 4060 for sale in their classifieds for a little over $600.

I have a sibilant voice too and my choice for a vocal mic is the Oktava MK319. It's often classed as 'dark', but for my purposes it's the shit.

I just recently got Blue Baby Bottle. It is great and sound crisp. I am running it on the standerd pre on my m audio mobile pre 2nd gen. For hip hop i suggest anything with small low end alot mid and small high for that rich sound. I totally recomend a Blue Baby bottle its $400 also

One of my guys liked the Bluebird I owned. It wasn't right for me, but sounded great on him. I would suggest trying them out at Guitar Center for another store before buying, otherwise it could get expensive.

You could also consider modding a Marshall MXL V67. I think Oktavamodshop sells them already modded. It's suppose to mimick a Neuman U87. Will it sound good on rap? I dunno, but if you try it please tell us.

Back