lookie here! it's my first mp3 post!

jrlemonz

hey guys, i was working on this the other day, and decided i might as well post it. it's kinda a quickie, but came out pretty good. i'm not completely happy with the drums, they seem out of time (i'm not that great at drums). i'm playing everything. recorded on a guillemot isis 8/4, and behringer 1604a. mixed entirely within nuendo.

1.08 megs I believe (it's a short one)

Maybe i'll get the drummer in my band to lay down a track for it. he can play a whole lot better then me. other then that little performance problem, i'm almost completely happy with the sound. drum overheada could be more lively, and full, but i didn't have much of an option for placement (VERY small room, with no floor left to walk and have mic stands) had to an XY 3 feet above the kit, 6 feet behind the throne. If I had moved them forward it would have sounded a lot better, but i would have hit the stands with my arms.

Anyways, any comments?

Jake

Pretty good, I ain't a recording guru by any means but it seems to me that the guitars need to be brought to the front a little more.

jrlemonz, how do you like the guillemot isis? It seems like the only place you can get that card is on ebay. anyway, let me know.
-Andrew

I love it. It sounds great. I used to own a Layla, and this thing sounds just as good. Can't reccomend it more. You can't use it with AMD's I don't think though, had that problem, and it doesn't like PC100 (it's also a brand, and thats what I'mt alking about) motherboards. Kinda pissed me off, cause on the box it says compatible with ALL systems. Then the first 2 I tried it wouldn't work.

Jake

Thats wierd, The website saids it is compatiable with all systems.Where did you buy yours? I haven't found a place that sells it yet, and i dont know if i want to get it off ebay just in case it doesnt work with my athlon.
-Andrew

k..

Bass sounds nice. could use a little compression. Maybe you should tweak the guitarsound a little to give it a more solid body with less of those buzzing highs. Drums sound nice, tho the kick could come up a bit.

All in all it's very good material which probably will end up being a very good song.

Nice section. I second Mesh's opinion about that bass sound! The song needs to resolve and move on to another section. I disagree about moving the guitar leads up. Save that for the next section.

Yeah, the bass is totally dry, just a little EQ. I moved the clean guitar soudn up in the mix, it really helps it stand out. I also put an expander on the hgeavy guitars, really fills them out even more. This was my first experiment with using the Antares Mic Modeler on guitars. All the tracks were done through one of those little Korg Pandora PX2's. The thign sounds horrible, really, but I put a modled U87 sound on one of them, and a modled 57 on the other. Along with a little compression, they sound pretty decent. I had to EQ the mid's up too, cause the damn Pandora doesn't have any on it's heaviest sound, and you can't adjust the mids, only bass and highs.

It's for my band, but we haven't yet written the rest of the song. We're an extreme metal type thing, but I wanna keep this one a little more melodic. I'm gonna be posting our first full song tonight. We demo'ed it today. We all like the material, and think it will end up on our first album.

Jake

don't you just love the antares mic modeller? pretty realistic to me.

I just hate that it sums every thing to the center. crap.

Anyhow, I had been looking forward to your post to hear how nuendo sounds, and I say that it must sound pretty freaking good, or you have some good mixing ability or BOTH.

I like the way the guitars just jump out after the little bass in the beginning, and I like panning job . THe mix also sounds really warm.

where did the kick go though?

My kick drum mic sucks. :(

I can't seem to get any attack. I'm gonna try to get the mic closer to the beater head. If that doesn't work, I'll experiment without a front head. For osme rason, the kick just won't sound good. I've done evry imaginable EQ combination. I also have too much bleed on that mic. I'm gonna cover the bass drum with a blanket next time we track.

The mix sounds decent, but it could be better. It is just a demo, the playing isn't super tight. We're gonna do it better at a later date, right now we're just gonna leave it as is. I wanted a thicker guitar sound too, but I didn't want to EQ it, my comp was already being pushed to it's limits (20 tracks with a lot of plugins/eq).

Oh yeah, songs called "Wasted Life", by my band Lifeless.

Jake

Wow, um.....wow.

You may want to beef up the low-end of the vocals a bit........um...I think that is about the most grunting and groaning I have ever heard.

Hahahahahaha. You obviously don't listen to any music like this. It gets MUCH worse then that (if you can imagine it). I'm not a huge fan of this stuff, but it's fun as hell to play, and can it get a crowd riled up! The onyl scene around me is a hardcore one, so it's either adapt or be ignored. I'd rather be up having fun in front of 500 insane kids moshing then be sitting in my garage playing something else. I like the stuff, but not to the extent that my singer and drummer do. Maybe it's because I write it all, and I know how stupid and easy it is after doing that.

Jake

hehe, cool. Yeah I wasn't trying to bash ya or anyything like that.

I have heard things like that, do I understand it? Nope. Should I? Probably not, since that is probably the point behind all the screaming. If I figure out the words to that song will you give me a cookie? :D.

Anyways, it is a good song, just not my cup of tea. I do like heavy stuff, but the heaviest I go is like Staind, and an occasional Static-X just for that fact that those dudes know how to kick some ass.

Anyways, I have to agree with you on getting out there and playing regardless if you "love" the type music or not. I was recently hanging out with my brother and his "band" and they play a lot of stuff that is harder than my tastes, but it was still fun to jam out with them. They really need to find a bass player, I felt bad playing bass with the current bass player there and kind of "showing him up"......

I know that feeling. I went and jammed with this band looking for a new guitarist, and their bassist was horrible. They aske dme if I could play bass, and I said yeah. They had me play using his equipment, and then right then asked me if I wanted the job playing bass. I said I'd do it for now, and see how it work sout. They fired the other guy right then and there. Never went back, if they'll do that to a guy, I don't want anything to do with them. I couldn't believe it. Now they probably STILL don't have a bassist, and that was 3 months ago.

For music that knows how to kick ass, I must say StaticX isn;t even close. PANTERA. They know how to throw down and beat the fuck out of everything in their path playing good music as they go. No one comes close. Now that shit I like.

I'll give oyu a cookie sure, but they aren't that hard. I don't even know 'em all, but I got most of them. Something like "Gun in mouth, I think we got a problem, gonna have to solve it, or we'll be solving another one (bunch of unintelligible shit)", then the chorus is "there is no love, i'm evil because, a fucking waste of time, a fucking waste of life". Thats about all there is to the words in this one. And no, I did not write them, before that question is even asked.

Jake

hehe. Well for me Static-X kicks some ass. Sorry man, I ain't into "heavy-metal". Not really into their whole "confederate flag-lovin" crap either but that is a different story. But the do have a large following so I have to give them credit for that, plus they have some great musicians in that band.

HAHA, those were some AMAZING lyrics ;).

Back