Look what fell in my lap...

Bill L

Massivdonian
frontsmm.JPGbacksmm.JPG
So a buddy of mine was telling me about this amp his dad played back in the day so I start asking him questions. He says it doesn't work but agrees to let me take a look at it. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. It looks to be an early 60's brown face that he said if I fix it I can use it. It's still his but I can play every thursday night at the open jam I play.

Bill L

-Don't mean to brag but I just had to share.
-Sorry for the huge pics too. I tried resizing.

Too sweet! :)
I actually have a nice flash back feeling looking at that amp face. to my first, a Gibson Falcon. and simpler young time.

Very cool time machine there.

Yeah I bet it doesn't work too well without the fuse and fuseholder.

Be sure and put a 3-wire/3-prong grounded cord on that thing.

I have one of these that I got out of a trade with a friend of mine. Nothing but love!

The original handle on mine dry-rotted years ago but I still have the remnants left under the brackets, it looks like total hell but there's nothing else that sounds like it.

Well, I put a fuse in and nothing worked. So it's off to the shop to get her fixed. When it's done I'll post some samples.

Bill L

Cool I hope it works out for you. What's that speaker? are there any codes on it?

Looks like the stock speaker. Ink stamped on the magnet is 10814 PA and below that is 3747630. There are Sylvania tubes and 1 RCA tube. I'm thinking it's either a blown cap or transformer but my friend will tell me when he pulls it apart.

Looks like the stock speaker. Ink stamped on the magnet is 10814 PA and below that is 3747630. There are Sylvania tubes and 1 RCA tube. I'm thinking it's either a blown cap or transformer but my friend will tell me when he pulls it apart.

I thought they had alnico speakers in them originally, and that it had maybe been switched out. Regardless, it's very cool indeed!

I 'unt one! Oh man! Toooooo Sweeeeeeet!

Did you tell him that it doesn't look like anything you've ver seen before, must be some old 60's off brand that never went any where, he would be lucky to get $20 bucks for it, but you'll give him $30 just to be nice.......make a nice fix it project for the grandkids....etc...etc......

Whatever you do, you need to get legal possession of that amp ASAP!

Well, after a few weeks of noodling around with the amp, I finally have a track worth sharing. This was recorded at an open mic that I play with some friends. I'm using a newly purchased Epiphone DOT with stock pups, at the moment, going straight into the amp. The tune is Stuck On Ice. The others don't have the Princeton.

http://www.reverbnation.com/billlehourites

I love this amp and everyone that has heard it or played through it agrees...it sounds fantastic.

Last edited:
A long list and some crazy stuff. Basically the tubes were in wrong and the tube sockets were replaced, a pot was replaced, the power chord was replaced, I think he changed some caps, a new fuse and fuse holder, replaced the speaker and a couple of other small things. I think he also cleaned up all the electrical, checked all the solder joints, etc. So far it's cost me a case of Beck's (for my buddy that did the work on the amp) and $30 for a speaker. The best thing is, you can always tell the real players. They look at the Princeton with no pedals and smile. Posers come in with their pedal boards and complain. And I love every minute of it.

I remember when I was in college I played an electric guitar and the only thing between my 335 copy and my Alamo Montclair Reverb (basically a copy of a '65 Fender Deluxe Reverb) was 20' of cable. The only pedal I had was a footswitch for the tremolo--which produced some interesting sounds when I later added a CryBaby to the signal chain and combined it with some tremolo.

Back