look at the images closely....please

SteveinAlaska

I have been working my way through learning to use 3.0 with an ASUS laptop/Windows 7 & Tascam MK122 II pc interface. The work involves recording 78rpm records to end with CDs of same.

I have a glitch......left channel has a "blip" that lasts for 5 seconds and causes a corresponding drop in right channel audio. I am working with 3 different turntables but am experimenting with a single record as my sample. It's a late 1940s Billy Eckstine MGM recording.

The only other issue is that I need to know what to do to remove/invert or do away with the RIAA curve as I understand is built into the Adobe software in some fashion. I have found and would use the references as they pertain to using correct parameters in recording these 78s if I knew what to do for what should a primary step in dealing with RIAA curve.

A thank you to any help and advise given. I am enjoying this new hobby

Attachments

• IMG_1703.JPG
    IMG_1703.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1709.JPG
    IMG_1709.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 46
How are you getting the signal from your turntable(s) into the Tascam interface? I'm thinking in terms of stylus and cartridge in particular because I think the problem may be starting there.

As for reversing the RIAA curve, Audition doesn't have this built in but some people have written the FFT filter you need and published it HERE with instructions on how to edit it into the .ini file. I've not tried it myself but have heard from others that this works.

(I don't think it would work with the latest CS5.5 and CS6 versions though--those are completely re-written.)

Good luck!

Unless you intend on using some effects to convert these records to stereo you'd be better off recording them in mono IMO. I see you have two sets of stereo tracks going and your in "video and audio session mode" this could be your problem as you shouldn't have your wave forms showing in this manner for that type of recording. The easiest thing to do here is just use edit mode instead of multitrack. Change your work space to the default edit view, then go up to the options bar and choose edit/audio hardware setup and make sure your Tascam is the default input, (choose the stereo input if you can). Then when you begin to record choose 16 bit mono, (or stereo if your converting as I mentioned). The waveform will then fill the entire work space or will be split into two waveforms and recording will be pie from here. Accessing the restoration effects is super easy too and work pretty good for old records like that. Your work space should like like one of these:

MONO:
Mono track.JPG

STEREO:
Stereo track.JPG

Now as far as the "blip" goes I have no idea, could be something with the Tascam driver. And very nice vintage equipment btw!

The recordings are mono, but if you're recording with a stereo turntable the stylus will still react as if the tracks were stereo. Mono discs use just the horizontal dimension to encode the signal while stereo adds the vertical dimension to encode the difference channel (L - R). Dirt in the groove that moves the stylus vertically will appear as a difference between right and left, exactly like your described result. Summing left and right channels should cancel out anything purely in the difference channel. Since it's a mono recording to begin with you should sum the channels anyway.

But that wouldn't explain a 5 second "blip". I tried to see anything unusual in the pic but it's hard to interpret. It almost seems like you're recording one input to the right side of one stereo track and the left input to the right side of a different stereo track, but that just doesn't make much sense.

By the way, do you know you can use the Print Screen function to copy a screen capture to the clipboard, paste it into an image editor and save it as an image file?

If that is the situation since they are in fact mono recordings one could simply open the files in edit view and ditch the right channel audio and be golden, at least that's what the picks you have up indicate. Mute the right channel, if the click is not in that audio your in luck. The real problem is figuring out why the recordings are doing this in the first place as you seem to have a stereo "source" coming in and that blip simply shouldn't be there.

As for reversing the RIAA curve, Audition doesn't have this built in but some people have written the FFT filter you need and published it HERE with instructions on how to edit it into the .ini file. I've not tried it myself but have heard from others that this works.
!
78's are gonna use a different curve than LP's and a quick look at that looked like it was for LP's.
For 78's the curves can be all over the place actually but I'm sure there's one or two that'll work acceptably for any 78.
I'm far too lazy to look it up but I have no doubt that there's a filter out ther somewhere specifically for 78s.

Also you need a stylus that's meant for 78's.
I'm assuming you have one since you've got some vintage 'tables there but if you don't it's neccessary.
78 grooves were a LOT bigger and deeper than 33 1/3 grooves.

Back