Long Winding Road - DonF w/Tim on gtr

XLR

______
Don put this arrangement in the Beatles cover thread. I thought it was a touching rendition so I stole it and added a nylon string gtr part. Here it is.:)

Last edited:
Hey cool version guys - the foundation is super DonF and the accompanyment just adds some more fabulous-ness to it Tim!

Good one guys!!....A great take on a cool song.

You have a nice voice Don and it fits this song well.

....and XLR...Zorro baby...Zorro.:D

Dogman, ido1957, True and Ray - thank you for listening and your kind remarks.

Don, sorry for the delay sending you the gtr part. I'll get to it soon.

Dude, this is simply a really cool song.

Those guitar leads solo augment the vocal melodies so nicely. Very much talent in both the singing and the playing.

Very very cool. :)

good job ... smooth vox and nice melodic guitar
too bad the Beatles didn't think of this sort of arrangement, not the over-produced add some strings version

good job ... smooth vox and nice melodic guitar
too bad the Beatles didn't think of this sort of arrangement, not the over-produced add some strings version
Have you heard the track on "Let It Be... Naked"? It's much simpler than the one on the original "Let It Be" album. Phil Spector was responsible for all the sap you hear flowing from that track. Reports indicate that Macca was none too keen on the Spector version (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_and_Winding_Road).

rayc, I'm glad you don't hate our version of the tune. In fairness, though, we've had more than 35 years to think about how to treat it.

XLR, we need to work together more often. :)

Don

Have you heard the track on "Let It Be... Naked"? It's much simpler than the one on the original "Let It Be" album. Phil Spector was responsible for all the sap you hear flowing from that track. Reports indicate that Macca was none too keen on the Spector version (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_and_Winding_Road).Don
Thanks for the WIKI link, and I'll see what I can find on Naked version, maybe you have a link ?

Yeah, Strings ruin everything.:D
Well, there's strings, and there's BigFatWallOfStringsWithHarpAndChoir. That's different. Hard to argue that the Spector version wasn't a bit over the top.

johnnymegabyte, what exactly do you want a link to? There's a link to a wiki page about Let It Be ...Naked on the page I linked above. I've got the CD if you want to come over sometime and listen to it. :)

Don

Spector's was OTT BUT Macca was far more peeved that he wasn't IN CONTROL hence the revisionist histrionics of the remix.
Seriously, the pondering, ponderous ballad animal stuff needed something to lift it. In hindsight with the melodies glassed to our synapses and the gawpishness erased by years of beatleworship any rethink of BEATLE is greeted by gasps of horror & comments about disinterring honoured lost etc as well as deep, guilty pleasurable anticipation that some one might kick some scalding current into the tepid bathwater of superstar vanity projects - the Love album being a good example - praised & loathed almost simultaneously. Who'd have though that Orwell was talking about beatlmania when he postulated taht 1 + 1 = 3 in the outerparty.
Oh, as I said fellows, nice - reworking.
My fav rework is the Damned's version of Help. We had a local singer (john/ny farhnam) who slowed Help down well beyond power ballad maukishness & had a huge, & now forgotten, hit with what Macca would probably consider a proper & non spectorish reappraisal of his work.

johnnymegabyte, what exactly do you want a link to? There's a link to a wiki page about Let It Be ...Naked on the page I linked above. I've got the CD if you want to come over sometime and listen to it. :)
Don
I tried to find a stream of the audio, but now I think I'll just have to go out and get the CD --- or "hint" as a Xmas present.

On the week-end, I saw in The Bargain Shop flyer (Canada) that The Long and Winding Road documentary (5 DVD) on sale for $21.99 . I saw part of it a few years back on PBS (we get it in Canada on cable) and I really liked it.
So, I'm adding that to my Xmas list. Oh, please ... Santa !!! ;)

Good mix Don!:) I like the way you've got the nylon str gtr sounding.:):) The bass gtr sounds nice and consistent. A couple ideas... the instrumental verb is beautiful but perhaps could be reduced a bit to not get too far away from the close vocal sound. In my opinion the sustaining synth patch (sounds like mellow strings) could come down a lot... arrangement-wise with a sentimental song like this the string sound hits me as kind of like putting a second layer of frosting on the cake. I think the piano and your orig ac gtr would fill things in nicely and in a more understated way. But these are just matters of personal taste. The vocal performance is super in this. Really good. There are two pitches that, if you spot treated them, would perfect it, I think. In the first phrase, the "and" and "road". I did the same on a couple pitches in the gtr part.;)

Back