Lonely Solider

jdavis

hey guys,

Here's another one, thanks for the great feedback on the others...let me know what you think here:

***Justin***

I like the mixture of instruments you used and the sounds. There`s a bit of wrestling going on between the bass and kick. Love the snare, just a little loud on it and the ride and crash. The acoustic guitar was a nice smooth sound but i didnt hear enough of it, mostly the attack of the thin pick. Vocals could come up more for me and pick up the mid around 2k a tad. I`d roll off a couple of db more of the low end with a knee around 55 to 65 and clear up some of the low end and raise the kick and bass level. I like this arrangement very well.

Thanks alot! Great suggestions, glad you liked to arrangement. I thought the vox were a bit quiet as well, espeically into the last 2 choruses. Thanks!

***Justin***

Vocals

Nice snare work, it's a great hook.
If you will use less effects on your voice we will be able to understand the words.
You are intimately familiar with the words, I can't understand them.
Don't cheat us on the lyrics.
I should NEVER have to struggle, for second, for an instant, I should never even have to THINK for a second that I MIGHT have to struggle, to understandt the words.

In a LYRICALLY DRIVEN piece of music.

That cowbell is mixed way, way to high.
Is the cowbell the lead instument in the piece, or is your vocal.

We at homerecording.com DESERVE to hear the vocal, no fair, don't rip us off.

Please, look at the level on your meters and compare them to the vocal.

If the levels on your meters are the same for the instruments, as for the vocal. Are they the 'same' level ...

No, the electronic POWERED instrument is much, much louder.

Send all of the instruments to one bus and compress all the instruments.
Send the vocal to another bus.

Consult your meters.

If we can't understand all the words, and SHARE in the story on the first listening.
Doesn't it become just an instrumental at that point ?

If the vocal rides way, way, way out on top, with little enough effects where we can readily understand ... the words you have labored over ... the instruments become MORE effective and MORE musical.

At 3:14, this musical allusion, to Hendrix is not lost on me, that is very nice writing.

But I will not accept your burying the vocal and the words, and then going even further by putting to much effects on them to add to the difficulty of understanding them.

Nice song, very good performance. Bad vocal mix.

Nice song.
The verse reminded me a little of Tom Petty's Free Falling. The mix seemed to get hotter as it went along. Props to your drummer - nice job all round

I like this song. The vocs could come out more. The rest sounds great. Good work. Metal church has a snare intro similar to this song. Hope to hear more.
Myx

Wow, great comments! I TOTALLY agree about the vocals, in fact, I had planned on going ahead and remixing it with the vox hotter, they get buried very easily. Unfortionately, we recorded them in a bathroom(tisk tisk), so much of the "effect" you hear is simply bathroom junk added on. Other than that, I think I EQ'd and compressed the vox, but that was about it.

Maybe I can try to get that bathroomy sound out of the vocals, make them a bit more crisp. Anyway, I appreciate the comments!

***Justin***

enhance-smooth 'features and plug-ins'

In SonicFoundry's sound forge, there is a feature you can use to 'process' the vocal track. It's the 'enhance-smooth' feature.

Make a copy of the vocal track if ou can ... Enhance the entire vocal track by 1 or 2 units. Mix the enhanced and the dry together appropriatly with volume envelopes.

Back