LOMO capsules for MC-012

mgraffeo

Does anyone have any familiarity with the M1 head versus the M3 head? I noticed that at The Sound Room, they are phasing out the M1 design. They also claim that the only difference is the "Retro" or the "Deco" look. I'm wondering if these two capsules do actually sound the same. If anyone has any links to recorded vocals using an MC-012 with a LOMO head, I'd love to take a listen. I've been thinking pretty seriously about picking up a matched pair of 012's, and perhaps picking up a LOMO head (or a pair) to provide total versatility.

Thanks!

mgraffeo said:
Does anyone have any familiarity with the M1 head versus the M3 head? I noticed that at The Sound Room, they are phasing out the M1 design. They also claim that the only difference is the "Retro" or the "Deco" look. I'm wondering if these two capsules do actually sound the same. If anyone has any links to recorded vocals using an MC-012 with a LOMO head, I'd love to take a listen. I've been thinking pretty seriously about picking up a matched pair of 012's, and perhaps picking up a LOMO head (or a pair) to provide total versatility.

Thanks!
I've had both here and I didn't really hear any difference between the M1 and the M3 head.

Thanks Harvey!!

I'm beginning to think that the matched pairs of MC-012's, with the 3 capsules and the LOMO head for each, might be one of the more versatile collection of mics available for $1500. Stereo Small Diaphragm cardiod, hypercardiod, omni, and large diaphragm condensers, all in matched pairs. I'm curious; in the same ballpark price range, what other mics can anyone compare directly to any of the MC-012 configurations, as far as sonic characteristics? If anyone has any sample audio recorded with the 012's that they can link to, I'd be extremely grateful, too!

I own a pair of MC012's from the Sound Room, and they are workhorse mics. One combo that would be somewhat compareable is a pair of AKG C414B-ULS. They give you all the aforementioned polar patters, are great for overheads, on acoustic guitar, cabs, drums, strings, and can be quite effective as vocal mics. I'd have to call them among the most versatile mics around. The TLII version is a little more expensive, uses the same capsule as a C12 VR, and is a truly excellent vocal mic. They also produce very little in the way of feedback problems in cardioid or hypercardioid mode, and are standard stage mics for woodwinds and strings. -Richie

Harvey, a little more please

I've been getting pretty curious about the LOMO heads too. Harvey, could you expound a little on your overall impression of this combo. There's no way to hear these at your local pro audio dept. , so any info would be greatly appreciated by all.
Thanks, RD

Back