Logic Plug Ins

AlecBeretz

1) what plug ins did you add to logic that you use frequently?
2) what logic plug ins did you replace, and why is your replacement better? (like, if you bought a better compressor and never use the logic one)

Thanks HR

I often use waves plugins. I like the waves v-eq 3 on vocals, the CLA 76 compressor on drums, the Q10, the puigtec, and the SSL eq. I use the logic compressor for overheads, bass, and sometimes ducking other tracks. Logic has a cool reverse reverb that I use from time to time. I also use the tape delay often. I'm also a big fan of the airwindows channel 3 for a bit of tubey goodness, its freeware so give it a try. Why I like waves plugins: With the eq's I can often get away with more eq more transparently, additionally most of these plugins emulate analog gear and thus add some old school mojo. However most logic plugins work fine if thats all you have. The first thing I would replace if I were you is the stock reverbs, I could never get a great sound with them. I prefer IK Multimedia's reverb plugins.

The type of plugins you use for Logic depends on the kind of sound you want. The waves bundles have some of my favorite plugins for effects processing.

+1 on Waves.

I actually like a lot of the stock plugins in Logic Pro. I use the stock eq's a lot, as well as the compressors, SilverVerb, and PlatinumVerb. I do prefer the SlimSlowSlider sidechain compressor for ducking audio beds under voiceovers.

I also use Nomad's BBE D82 Sonic Maximizer for bass, kick drum, and radio voiceovers. Great polishing tool for giving the low end a little extra "oomph".

I've found the Logic Bitcrusher to be a wonderful brickwall limiter--just don't downsample and turn the bit rate up to 24. up the drive depending on how squashed you want it. if it overdrives, the distortion sounds a bit better than if the limiter was to distort. sort of a digital tube.

Don't forget the super hidden extra menu on a lot of the stock Logic plugins that make them even more awesome (especially the compressor)

Compressorextras.png

Back