Logic - A couple of issues

Smoulders

Hey ho...

Hope your good.

I've started a new teaching job and need to learn Logic ASAP (I'm a Cubase user). Its been on my to do list for a long time, so being thrown in at the deep end in a rather tasty logic studio with a group of 'gangsta's' who are very keen to learn is just what I needed.

I've got to say, so far I havn't been massively impressed with the interface compared to Cubase, particularly when it comes to editing audio, but of course I will be giving it a chance and am sure it will grow on me.

Just two things that I have not been able to find in the manual, or have not been adequately explained and wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction (Logic Pro 8 by the way).

Firstly, performing a destructive edit for example reversing a section of audio. In Cubase, you are asked if you want to create a new version. If so, the edit is only carried out on the new copy. With Logic, the only option seems to be to create a back up before carrying out such edits. I've tried this and am told a file called 'filename.dup' should arrive in the bin but have not found it. Basically at the mo, if I copy a piece of audio, reverse it, the original is reversed as well.

Also, after cutting a loop, how can you set your project tempo to that loop. I havn't yet found a beat detective/calculator function.

Ooh, while i'm at it, is there no way to change volume levels for individual audio regions the way you can with Cubase? Not via track automation but an individuak control or each region.

Now i'm getting warmed up I could go on forever, so I'l leave it at that! I have been looking through the manual but feel like i'm drowning in an ocean of unrelated topics.

Any help greatly appreciated. I'm sure Logic's every bit as good as its cracked up to be. it's easy to see why people swear by the software they use though. I'm sure theres nothing in it really, but when your unfamilar with how something works it always seems totally shit compared to what your used to.

Cheers

Back