Lock Up Yr Geetars! Redneck Rampage!!!

In the very beginning the bass is way to rumbly and all over the place. I'd say roll off some highs to get rid of the click, the automate them back in. Maybe even a decrease in volume. Try different things.
That's about it. Nice guitar playin. :D

In the very beginning the bass is way to rumbly and all over the place. I'd say roll off some highs to get rid of the click, the automate them back in. Maybe even a decrease in volume. Try different things.
That's about it. Nice guitar playin. :D

Yeah, its low-end overkill at the beginning, with all the toms going - great ideas - thanks!

Excellent guitar sound and playin, reminds of Zeppelin Rock-a-billy. The low end is definately off, needs to be re-mixed. Add a singer/song and arrangement and you'd really have something great. What did you do to get the guitar sound ? Amp/mic ?

Excellent guitar sound and playin, reminds of Zeppelin Rock-a-billy. The low end is definately off, needs to be re-mixed. Add a singer/song and arrangement and you'd really have something great. What did you do to get the guitar sound ? Amp/mic ?

Thanks...No amps on this yet - I'm planning to re-amp it through my Mesa Lonestar Special & my THD Univalve, but at present its all just software amps -
The main sound in the centre is Pod Farm "Skilletlicker" preset (Tweed Fender emulation) & the left & right channels have (at much lower volume) Guitar Rig 4's "Dual Riff" preset.

I'm hoping to keep this instrumental in the vein of SRV's "Scuttle Buttin'"
- the guitar is a '95 Fender Lonestar Strat (middle pickup)

Thanks,

Sounds great for guitar sim. Definately can hear the Strat tone.

Thanks,

Sounds great for guitar sim. Definately can hear the Strat tone.

Yup, amp sims are definitely improving - When I do final mixes, my favourite thing to do is to mix up the sims with real amp sounds - that way you can mix & match amps that you have got with ones you haven't :D... When you do it right, it just adds that extra level of complexity, richness & width to a guitar tone that really helps polish a mix.

Yeah, a bit on the muddy side particularly with the snare and toms...I mean I can hear everything, but there is a bit of a jumbled effect in the lower registers at times.

Guitar playing was quite nice. Moved the whole thing right along at a good clip. The tone was very classic strat-like and cuts through well. It seemed like the overdive or whatever beneath the cutting edge of the sound itself was a bit fizzy if that makes any sense, but I still like the sound. It's just that when the lead guitar is so prominent, one tends to really pick it apart and to me, it could sound a little meatier maybe?

Yeah, a bit on the muddy side particularly with the snare and toms...I mean I can hear everything, but there is a bit of a jumbled effect in the lower registers at times.

Guitar playing was quite nice. Moved the whole thing right along at a good clip. The tone was very classic strat-like and cuts through well. It seemed like the overdive or whatever beneath the cutting edge of the sound itself was a bit fizzy if that makes any sense, but I still like the sound. It's just that when the lead guitar is so prominent, one tends to really pick it apart and to me, it could sound a little meatier maybe?

Thanks for listening & commenting Heatmiser...Yeah, I think that "fizziness" is coming from the GR4 "Dual Riff" preset - I think its a Bogner & Mesa emulation or something - One area where real amps still beat emulations is giving that lovely low-mid "thickness" to a tone without it getting all muddy.

Wow... I love the overall feel of the music, Fumbles.... My nits would be what others have stated (the boomy bass feel, especially at the beginning with the toms going nuts, and the general over-fizzyness of the main guitar) and I would add...

There seems to be a general over-driven sound to the entire stage. For me, it was especially prominent in the main guitar, and the snare drum. Kind of like it's busting out of the speakers, causing everything to distort slightly. If that effect is intended, then all is well... However, I found it distracting to the otherwise great overall sound.

Can't wait to hear this one with lyrics.

Kudos, Fumbles.... Great mix!

Wow... I love the overall feel of the music, Fumbles.... My nits would be what others have stated (the boomy bass feel, especially at the beginning with the toms going nuts, and the general over-fizzyness of the main guitar) and I would add...

There seems to be a general over-driven sound to the entire stage. For me, it was especially prominent in the main guitar, and the snare drum. Kind of like it's busting out of the speakers, causing everything to distort slightly. If that effect is intended, then all is well... However, I found it distracting to the otherwise great overall sound.

Can't wait to hear this one with lyrics.

Kudos, Fumbles.... Great mix!

Thanks Poetic - I usually slather UAD's Fatso on the drumbuss, & I think I may have overdone it... also, I think I hit the output limiter a bit to hard on this one - rushing again!..
...um, I wasn't actually intending to add lyrics to this - It's kinda meant to be an instrumental in the SRV "Scuttle Buttin'" vein... Do you think it stands up as an instrument, or is it all a little banal?

Fantastic song, original and well performed. The only thing i have to comment is on the drum kick. Its being drowned by the bass guitar, it needs to have more of a (ironically) kick lol

I tend to agree with some of the others about the bass sound not being well enough defined.
My view with rockabilly is that the bass has to be tight into the groove so that everyone else can float around the beat a bit.

Good beginnings, just needs tightening.

I tend to agree with some of the others about the bass sound not being well enough defined.
My view with rockabilly is that the bass has to be tight into the groove so that everyone else can float around the beat a bit.

Good beginnings, just needs tightening.

Just a question... When you mention "tightening" are you referring to the timing or the sound? The reason I ask is that the timing of the bass playing is already very tight with the drums, but perhaps you're hearing something I'm not...

Nice Playin!!!! You have listened to the Hellecasters a few times huh?
That tone surprises me that its a amp sim!...Cool stuff!

Nice Playin!!!! You have listened to the Hellecasters a few times huh?
That tone surprises me that its a amp sim!...Cool stuff!

Thanks klutzee,
Actually, I've heard of the Hellecasters, but haven't listened to any of their stuff... This was more inspired by SRV's Scuttle Buttin'.
I plan to reamp the guitar with real amps, but often I supplement the real amp tones with amp sims.
Thanks for listening & commenting

Back