Local band recording

Meiklejohn

https://soundcloud.com/meiklejohn/rodriguez-spirit-knows

This was my first ever attempt recording a band. It's a local band in the north east of Scotland, they haven't been together that long and they are very relaxed and kind of busk most of their songs. I rushed the recording stage like an amateur (won't make that mistake again) so the mixing was a killer!

Let me know your thoughts. Overall I'm quite pleased with it... If you heard it to start with, before I worked on it, I think you would all appreciate the work more.

Give it some love too if you want. Thanks guys and girls,

Scotty

Sorry, I think the track needs a lot of work.

It has a "recorded in a small bedroom" sound. Weird reverb on everything.

The guitar and the male vocal are both bunched in the 400h - 1800hz region. They're fighting each other.

The arrangement is really chaotic. Everything is trying to be the center of attention.

The female vocal is harsh and shrill. At times the male vocal is as well.

Sorry, but I think it needs work.

Yeah, it sounds like there's a pileup of acoustic instruments sitting on top of each other. How are the instruments panned right now? It also sounds like one or more of them might be out of tune. The hand drum could afford to sit a bit further back in the mix; it sounds too 'up front'. A simple gain reduction in gain, possibly some EQ work or adding extra 'verb. The tracks each sound nice and clean, but I'd work to try and separate them a little more :)

Can you give us some idea of how this was recorded? How many tracks, the place you recorded in, what your recording and mixing hardware and software is, so we can give you reasonable advice? At the moment, it sounds like it was recorded on an old-fashioned cassette recorder.

The panning is a little extreme I think, the conga drums might work better more centered. Background vox might come down a bit. It does have a small-room sound but it wasn't real distracting for me. It's a nice performance.

Back