Lloyd's Fantastic Horror Ride

Well this is different, like the crazy world of arthur brown on 'roids with mushroom chaser. Well what to say-this is a pretty massive conception, the beginning organ had me looking at the clock, but once it kicks in-awesome. Great guitar work. Amazing time shifts all over the place, the drum programming?? must have been the horror ride you referred to, really nice job mapping this all out and having it work, there's some parts where the drums are doing unnatural kick patterns but sheesh just wait a few seconds and they'll be doing something completely different. Great ride.

Strat

You need to cut that intro by at least 1:45!

Once it kicks in, it's pretty cool. Though it may be a little long overall.

I've always wondered how people right and play songs like this? I get bored with my songs once they get longer than 4 minutes!

Why does everyone here hate intros?! :D
NO! I don't need to cut it and I won't. I love long intros. The longer the better.
Stop saying shit like they're facts! :D

Long intros are boring! :D

It looks like this is the last track on an album, which means you get to have the artistic freedom to do whatever you want and take risks. (At least as I understand album structure.)

However, if that's the first song that people hear, not many will get through the intro. Even folks in the clinic aren't likely to. It's hard to listen critically to 2 minutes of intro!

Last edited:
Oh my God! :D
I thought I was posting to MIXING clinic. Turned out I misread some code and this actually was the "we tell you what kinda songs to compose" clinic. :D

Pretty much all my songs've got 2min+ intros. You say long intros are boring. Yes, IN YOUR OPINION. I don't care what kinda Beatles nerd you are. I like my compositions fine and that's why I didn't ask if I should change em... even if you think that everything deriving from a generic 3 minute pop song is WRONG. I like listening Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, King Crimson etc... and wouldn't you know it, there are other people in the world that do TOO. They write long intros too. And even if nobody liked them, what does that have to do with mixing? :)

sheesh

However, if that's the first song that people hear, not many will get through the intro.
BTW, Dream Theater's last album sold 35,750 copies in a week. If that's not "many" to you, I don't know what is. Sounds to me like you just felt that way and decided that it must be a universal fact. :D

Not many people like long intros. Majority of people will give you 10 seconds before they decide to pass on your music. So, potentially you're going to have a lot of people turning it off before giving it a chance. I was about to turn the freaking things off myself. But lucky it loaded fast enough for me to forward it. And after a minute of getting into the meat of the music I turned it off because it's cool, but not a big fan of rock operas. It's really good for what it is and you can keep your long intro, but don't expect most people to listen to the whole freaking song and don't expect to sell albums like dream theater LOL.

Damn you people are negative. :D And nobody EVER gives any feedback about the mix. You can have your introverted hater community. :D

Byes!

You shouldn't ask people for their opinion and then get mad when they don't tell you what you want to hear. If you can't take creative criticism you shouldn't be asking for it in the first place.

haha, who is this dude? has he ever been to the internet before? you can't post something without expecting to get critiques across the board. plus now that you've been a dick you're probably not gonna get a lot of good info.

drums are buried. bring them up. snare needs some balls and some more snap. kick sample isn't the best either, could use more low end, and some punch. guitars are too loud. especially the rhythm ones, they even bury the leads. piano sounds not great to me.

good performance, everything is really tight.

oh...and long intros/long songs are boring. So are tons of guitar solos. FACT. I skipped the intro and stopped the song half way through.

It's hard to listen critically to 2 minutes of intro!

I didn't give any mix feedback because I didn't listen to the mix. I listened to the arrangement and gave feedback on that. Then I turned it off because I found it boring.

Did I generalize my opinions? Yes, I did. Do I still think that my opinions reflect the majority of listeners (including ones in the mp3 clinic)? Yes.
If you can build up a dedicated following (like the one that Dream Theater has built up through decades of work), then you can make your songs as long and meandering as you want and expect them to to be listened to.
However, if you post your songs to random strangers to feedback, don't be surprised if we call you out on the inaccessible bits.

Back