livewires Heavy metal set wiring

The 047 cap is a .047 microfarad capacitor, which is what makes the pot a tone control. Are you putting these in an already wired guitar? If so, don't worry too much about it if you already have tone pots wired and working. That's actually the first lug of the pot, and yes, it's necessary. This grounds that section of the pot, so when the wiper is fully on that side, it's grounded and silent.

Just took another look at the diagram. I'd recommend having a tech do this wiring unless you already have battery compartments installed. That can be a pain and could make it very easy to ruin a nice guitar if inexperience plays a part.

hum I don't understand what you meant by battery compartment. I have enough space for the batteries in the pot compartment of the guitar, I will just leave them there, stuck with something. no big deal, unless you say it would be a bad thing. For the tone pot, I don't know if it changes anything, but those pickups are active, and the pots fournished with those are 100k, so I'm not sure if the one already in my guitar is ok or not.

I'm not really familiar with active electronics, so couldn't tell you. But I don't see why the ones already in your guitar (which are probably 250-500k... are you sure it's 100k or is it 1M?) wouldn't sound fine with those pickups.

"for livewire set, change all ports to 100k for both volume and tone. For original passive pickups and live wires, leave 250k pots in place"

So yup, it's 100k, written on the pots too

Alright then!
Well, it's really just as simple as following that diagram. If you don't already have a cap, my personal favorite is Mallory. Very smooth and retains clarity from bottom to top.

hey tim, thanks for the help. I have one question left.
Supplied with the pick up set are two kinda capacitors written ".1k 250vcmc". At first I thought it was resistors used to lower the output (since some amps aren't able to take that much charge). Now I realise this is probably what I'm supposed to use for tone pots. Are those useable only if you have 2 tone pots, or will it still do the job for two pickups and one tone?

Sorry for my small knowledge about tone pots!

Actually it sounds like those may have another use since the diagram is showing a .047 cap and I haven't ever seen a guitar with .1 caps (again, haven't really touched active electronics so it might be the norm). You may want to talk to Seymour Duncan directly to find out their exact use. It might be for shock prevention or something else.

Back