Livening up Dead(ish) room with wood panels

diskobox

Hello,

I have a rehearsal space used also for recording,

the dimensions are approx. as follows. Length (9 metres), width (6 metres), height (6 metres)

I record through an Allen and Heath Mixwizard 16:2 mk3 onto PC (through Delta 1010lt sound card) or 8-track reel to reel.

I have a bunch of sm57 and 58s, a D112, 2 x Oktava Mc012s, and a couple of Large diaphragm Condensors (Audio Technica 3060, AKG C2000B)

The surrounding walls of the room are completely covered in carpet, as is the floor. The ceiling is plaster.

When I record drums everything sounds a bit dead. If i move the overheads away from the kit, or set up a room mic, the sound is more roomy, but lacks top end and sounds dull. Im assuming this is down to the carpet absorbing most the higher frequencies.

My question is, If I buy a load of wood panels (plywood for example) and lay them on the floor and/or lean them against the walls, will this make the room sound more lively?

p.s. I rent the space out and i will not be able to do anything like rip the carpet off the walls/install a proper wooden floor. Also, I want to capture a real room sound on my recordings, I don't want to further deaden the room and add artificial reverb.

thanks for looking and any help greatly appreciated!

thanks, Ian :)

Remove the carpet from the walls! Then, you can build a real broadband absorbers for the corners to even out the room response. Carpeted walls suck all the life out of a room.

Hi,

thanks for you reply but I already mentioned the following in my original post

"p.s. I rent the space out and i will not be able to do anything like rip the carpet off the walls/install a proper wooden floor"

:)

"p.s. I rent the space out and i will not be able to do anything like rip the carpet off the walls/install a proper wooden floor"

:)

doh, guess I stopped reading before I got to the bottom. A room full of carpeted walls is going to sound bad- you've already figured that out, lol/. If moving isn't an option, I'd make a few plywood poly diffusers to go around the room. Something like this...
157098d1265661673-poly-diffuser-help-please-poly-.php.jpg

I think I'd build them floor-ceiling. I'd say 4'x8' sheets 1/8 plywood/luan would be fine. I think I've read that stuffing the void behind the sheet with batt insulation will keep it from resonating or vibrating at certain frequencies. Building that right to the wall looks easiest, but if you had to make it a separate piece, you could get creative and build it as a stand-alone unit.

If you go this route, I'd do some more research. I've looking into creating a few of these for my space, but haven't gotten to it yet, so there may be nuances or details to make these work properly....

Renting a space and trying to 'soundproof' is nearly impossible, but I can lend some advice as to how to control it!

To get clarity in the space, utilize some Sound Absorption Sheets, or some Acoustic Panels. I would cover probably 15-25% of wall space with Panels, or 80-100% of the space with the Sound Sheets. Once you have relived the pressure of the mid and high range frequencies (mostly the nusiance and what bothers neighbors), then your neighbors and or housemates will be happy! This will also enable you to become a better musician, by creating a live space where you can hear mistakes, and ultimately achieve better skills!!

Happy to help! Love these forums!!

-Dave & Mal

Daveguy - Input and help is always appreciated and having manufacturers and marketers around can be useful but you really need to read the post before you reply with totally irrelevant advice.

lou

So, what kind of sheets, Lou? Clearly not just any old sheet would work. Maybe you should elaborate a little more.

So, what kind of sheets, Lou? Clearly not just any old sheet would work. Maybe you should elaborate a little more.
The sheets the OP mentioned in the first post in the thread - the one I guess you still haven't read. "If I buy a load of wood panels (plywood for example)..."

lou

Back