Live Visualisations + ASIO

Vinnydude

Clunge Monster
So today I decided I wanted to look at incorporating some visualizations into a live scenario.

I've already hit a snag and i haven't even begun!

I thought it would be a simple case of, install winamp, select my input and bang, ready to go.

Unfortunately, as I'm wanting to use ASIO, so it's nice and snappy and without that annoying delay, it can't do it.

I've been searching and searching and searching and can't find any sort of software that offers live visualisations from a mic plugged into an interface with asio.

Am I being dense? Am I missing something glaringly obvious here?!

So today I decided I wanted to look at incorporating some visualizations into a live scenario.

I've already hit a snag and i haven't even begun!

I thought it would be a simple case of, install winamp, select my input and bang, ready to go.

Unfortunately, as I'm wanting to use ASIO, so it's nice and snappy and without that annoying delay, it can't do it.

I've been searching and searching and searching and can't find any sort of software that offers live visualisations from a mic plugged into an interface with asio.

Am I being dense? Am I missing something glaringly obvious here?!

OK, I did this a few years back. There is a URL setting, etc. I will do some research see if I can find it again. I used ASIO but at the time it didn't seem like it was an issue. Might be a few days, if I find something I will let you know. If you solve it, but post its solved.

I know you can put linein:// as the url, but that just uses standard drivers. I'm using an external interface that is using asio, so I need to be able to select the inputs from that.

I know you can put linein:// as the url, but that just uses standard drivers. I'm using an external interface that is using asio, so I need to be able to select the inputs from that.

Yes, I am aware of that. I remember now what I did and it was, take an old Laptop and use it as my visual interface and route sound to it and and just used the laptop to project the images. So, my apologies, I thought I had done it when in fact, I didn't (not the way you are trying anyway).

I am not sure what DAW you use, but in Ableton and MaxforLive, there is a plugin that does that and routes it to a second screen. But that probably doesn't help you.

No worries man. The whole music visualization thing seems to have been brushed under the carpet for a while now. I am aware there are some big VJ suites available now, I just want something nice and simple with a few little jpgs thrown around! :P

At the moment, it looks like I'll be going down the 2nd laptop route as you've said. I'm sure it'll be fine :P

I've managed to find a winamp plugin called plane9 that I'm able to use jpgs in, but the transitions are sketchy! lol

As far as ASIO goes, I don't think it's going to be possible.

No worries man. The whole music visualization thing seems to have been brushed under the carpet for a while now. I am aware there are some big VJ suites available now, I just want something nice and simple with a few little jpgs thrown around! :P

At the moment, it looks like I'll be going down the 2nd laptop route as you've said. I'm sure it'll be fine :P

I've managed to find a winamp plugin called plane9 that I'm able to use jpgs in, but the transitions are sketchy! lol

As far as ASIO goes, I don't think it's going to be possible.

Yea, for just simple algorithms, a simple laptop and routing will get you 90% there. There are some freeware visualizations out there. Find a laptop that someone htings is no longer useful. Doesn't take that much HP, you will be surprised what you can do.

Good luck!

Back