live sound through monitors

synergy

Right now, I just have some POS vintage criterion speakers hooked up like delta 66 -> omni -> kenwood amp -> speakers. I'm looking into getting real monitors. But my question is, do you monitor incoming live signals through your monitors/speakers??? Ex. Playing guitar into the soundcard and listening to the output on your monitors (basically using your monitors for an amp?) It just seems to me like this could be damaging or something.

I do this...

The way my mini-studio is setup, I do use my Event PS6 monitors both for audition AND performance. Basically my mixing board balanced-outs go to my "DAW" and the balanced-outs from my DAW go to the speakers. The only drawback this setup has is that I need to have my PC turned on to play my keyboard; I'm not sure what you mean by asking if it could be damaging -- can you be more specific?

I might change my setup, as I'm still putting this studio together, but it's *really* nice to be able to do side-by-side comparrisons of live music vs. my recordings instantly, and on the same speakers.

-Shaz

synergy,

What makes you think playing anything out of the soundcard's line outputs could be damaging? There's no powered output from the soundcard; it's the same level that would come out of a synth or an effects box or an amp's preamp output (a.k.a. recording out or direct out) or any other line level device.

Now, plugging the speaker outputs of a guitar amp into a soundcard can surely damage the soundcard, but I doubt you could damage the speakers this way.

You do know you can't get reasonable results plugging a guitar signal straight into a soundcard? The guitar signal is very low level and needs to be preamped to line level. Ditto microphones, though mic levels are even lower still.

-AlChuck

As long as you don't go really loud or try to get feedback or anything your not going to damage the speakers or amp. Just make sure you connect everything right. Mic level signel goes into mic level input, line level output goes into line level input and so on. As long as you follow that and don't push the amps you can't really damage anything.

Back